Our Location & Heritage

main content

It's over 210 years since Professor John Anderson's legacy established what is now the University of Strathclyde.

Strathclyde is 'the place of useful learning' - this ethos dates directly from Professor Anderson, who was considered quite a revolutionary among university academics of his day. Committed to education for the working men and women of Glasgow, he articulated, loudly and clearly, the link he perceived between education and economic growth and prosperity. He was determined that no institution with which he was concerned should ever discriminate against someone because of their religion, race or gender.

When he died in 1796 Professor Anderson left a bequest in his will for the establishment of 'a second higher education institution' in Glasgow which would be a place of 'useful learning' and of education for all, regardless of gender or social class.

John Anderson himself had a formidable and far-reaching reputation. He was called 'one of the most extraordinary professors who ever held a chair in Glasgow'. And it was his ideas that established the new university and attracted a steady stream of talent to work and study here - a tradition that holds true today.

As an institution we are and always will be very much a part of Glasgow and the west coast of Scotland.

In the 21st century, we are also Scotland's third largest university with an international reputation and outlook, with students and staff from over 100 countries.