The University of Strathclyde began in 1796 when John Anderson, Professor of Natural Philosophy at Glasgow University, left instructions in his will for 'a place of useful learning' - a university open to everyone. His vision was realised when Anderson's University opened later the same year.
The University developed rapidly and, by the 1890s, had become a major technological institution with a wide reputation for research and learning. This success meant that money was needed for a new building. After a fundraising campaign by the governors, the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College Building - now the Royal College Building - was opened in George Street. Archive film of Glasgow & West of Scotland Technical College stone laying ceremony, Edward VII Laying Foundation Stone, 14th May 1903
Building on success
Over the first half of the 20th century, the college developed its reputation for technical education and research. Although it offered some courses in management, the focus was on science and engineering. It was known for producing some of the best scientists and engineers of its time.
Getting down to business
In the early 1960s the college broadened its activities by merging with the Scottish College of Commerce, which offered a wide range of business and arts subjects. In 1964, the enlarged Royal College was granted the Royal Charter and became the University of Strathclyde.
A wider view
In 1993, the University merged with the Jordanhill College of Education, Scotland's premier teacher training college. From July 2012 the University will bring all the University’s staff and students together in the heart of the city. The School of Education will be based in the newly refurbished Lord Hope Building. The single campus project is part of the University’s £350 million investment in its estate to create a more attractive, dynamic and digital campus.
At the time of its Royal Charter in 1964, the University had around 4,000 full-time students and one block of buildings fronted by the Royal College. Today, Strathclyde is the third largest university in Scotland.