Prof Gordon Murray
Tel : +44 (0)141 548 3171 (Ext. 3171)
- ASSA study on part time learning for Part 2 Architecture (Principal investigator)
B.Sc. B.Arch. PPRIAS, RIBA, RIAI, MCIArb.
Gordon Murray was appointed Head of School and
Professor in Architecture and Urban Design at University of Strathclyde
in April 2007. He is a principal in gordon
murray+alan dunlop-architects. Their work
has been exhibited in London, at the Royal Scottish
Academy and RIAS in Edinburgh,
the Lighthouse in Glasgow, Rotterdam
well as Landforms at the 2004 Venice Biennale. They are
recognised for projects across Scotland,
and more recently Europe, which are both
thoughtful and thought provoking. The practice has won over thirty national and
international architecture awards. "Reduced to the maximum"
is a personal mission statement.
He has also taught in Schools of
Architecture in Glasgow, Edinburgh,
Cardiff and Belfast
where he has been External Examiner at the University of Ulster
from 2003. He was President of The Royal Incorporation of Architects in
Scotland 2003-5 and a Trustee of the Lighthouse-Scotland’s
National Centre for Architecture, Design and the City from 2003-09. Elected to Council of SCHOSA in 2008 – The Committee
of Heads of Schools of Architecture, he is currently Vice-Chairman. He
is also on the board of Architects Professional Examination Authority Scotland.
Two volumes on the work of the practice are
gm+ad: Challenging Contextualism – 2003;
gm+ad: Curious Rationalism – 2006.
- Awards Jury- Chairman of RIBA Stirling Prize
Jury at invitation of RIBA President.
The foremost British Award for Quality in Architecture from an
International list of projects;
- Publication- ARQ No. 12 No. 2. Review of “Visions of Sustainability – Cities and Regions” by Dr. Hildebrand Frey and Dr. Paul Yaneske;
- Exhibition – Building Biographies – Architecture in Scotland 2006-08. Biennale Exhibition in The Lighthouse – featuring Telford Road Social Housing by gm+ad;
- Catalogue – Building Biographies ISBN 978-1-905, 061-18-1;
- Professional- Appointed Design
Advisor to Government of Victoria (AUS) to work on Special Needs
School in Glenroy,
Melbourne. Working with Teachers,
Parents, Architects and Board;
- BBC TV World Service Programme participation –
“What is Design”. Architects to a
School – Hazelwood;
- Exhibition- Invitation by Royal
to submit drawings for Annual exhibition at RSA in Edinburgh.
- Title: Five sketches on a theme for a new Special Needs
School in Victoria, Australia;
- Exhibition/Lecture - “The Thinking
Hand”, an exhibition of drawings by hand including 1975 Thesis Drawings in
The Department of Architecture, University of Strathclyde. A lecture on
the art of hand drawing.