Prof Gordon Murray
Tel : +44 (0)141 548 3171 (Ext. 3171)
B.Sc. B.Arch. PPRIAS, RIBA, RIAI, MCIArb.
Gordon Murray is the Director of Knowledge Exchange at the Department of Architecture, University of Strathclyde.
He has also taught in Schools of Architecture in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast where he has been External Examiner at the University of Ulster from 2003. He was President of The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland 2003-5 and a Trustee of the Lighthouse - Scotland’s National Centre for Architecture, Design and the City from 2003-09. He was elected to Council of SCHOSA in 2008 – The Committee of Heads of Schools of Architecture and held the post of Vice-Chairman. He is also on the board of the Architects Professional Examination Authority Scotland.
Two volumes on the work of his previous practice 'gm+ad' , (Gordon Murray and Alan Dunlop) are currently available:
gm+ad: Challenging Contextualism – 2003
gm+ad: Curious Rationalism – 2006.
- Awards Jury- Chairman of RIBA Stirling Prize Jury at invitation of RIBA President. The foremost British Award for Quality in Architecture from an International list of projects;
- Publication- ARQ No. 12 No. 2. Review of “Visions of Sustainability – Cities and Regions” by Dr. Hildebrand Frey and Dr. Paul Yaneske;
- Exhibition – Building Biographies – Architecture in Scotland 2006-08. Biennale Exhibition in The Lighthouse – featuring Telford Road Social Housing by gm+ad;
- Catalogue – Building Biographies ISBN 978-1-905, 061-18-1;
- Professional- Appointed Design Advisor to Government of Victoria (AUS) to work on Special Needs School in Glenroy, Melbourne. Working with Teachers, Parents, Architects and Board;
- BBC TV World Service Programme participation – “What is Design”. Architects to a School – Hazelwood;
- Exhibition- Invitation by Royal Scottish Academy to submit drawings for Annual exhibition at RSA in Edinburgh.
- Title: Five sketches on a theme for a new Special Needs School in Victoria, Australia;
- Exhibition/Lecture - “The Thinking Hand”, an exhibition of drawings by hand including 1975 Thesis Drawings in The Department of Architecture, University of Strathclyde. A lecture on the art of hand drawing.
- ASSA study on part time learning for Part 2 Architecture
Murray, Gordon (Principal Investigator)Period 01-Dec-2007 - 30-May-2008