To collect and preserve the institutional records and other documents which reflect the history and achievements of the University of Strathclyde and its antecedent institutions, including Jordanhill College, which merged with the University in 1993. Our further aim is to build important archival collections which reflect the teaching, learning and research interests of the University and to promote the use of these collections both within the University and in the scholarly community worldwide.
The University Archives had their origin in the collections made and research undertaken by Charles G Wood, librarian of the Royal Technical College and of the University of Strathclyde from 1953-1982. On taking up his appointment in 1953, Mr Wood discovered that, far from being a recent foundation, the Royal College was already almost 150 years old, having been established by the will of Professor John Anderson in 1796. Mr Wood set about collecting historical documents and photographs, traced descendants of historical figures and conducted oral history interviews. He was a founder member of the '96 Group, which was set up to stimulate interest in the history of the institution, in preparation for the Bicentenary in 1996. The Archives were formally established as a department of the Secretariat in 1975, and transferred to the library in August 2005.