A degree in Finance will give you the skills needed to pursue a career in financial services such as banking, investment management, pension fund management, and insurance, as well as a wide range of business organisations. It will also be invaluable in helping you make personal financial decisions.
Our Finance programme is unique in Scotland in terms of the range and depth of the finance issues covered. Years 1 to 3 involve detailed coverage of:
- The principles of investment and value
- All the main aspects of business finance and decision-making
- Analysis of securities such as bonds and shares
- Analysis of financial derivatives such as options, futures and swaps
- Management of risk
- Financial modelling
- The operations of financial markets and the banking system
- Interpretation of financial statements and evaluating the performance of companies
In the Honours fourth year you choose from a number of classes focusing on key areas of finance such as corporate investment, corporate finance, and the pricing and management of financial assets.
You can study Finance in combination with a range of business subjects. Employers tell us that they particularly value the range of subject combinations available at Strathclyde, ensuring that our students have in-depth understanding of a second subject to complement their Finance studies.