BSc Maths and Physics (Bristol, 1991),
PhD Theoretical Physics (Bristol, 1995)
Tel: 0141 548 2393
- Separation Processes CP302
- Chemical Engineering Design, 18475
Departmental Administrative Duties
- Director of Research
Research Interests: Molecular Modelling
This broad area of research encompasses a range of theoretical approaches to modelling physical systems at the molecular level, including classical density functional theory and Monte-Carlo and Molecular Dynamics simulation. Applications cover a spectrum of important problems in chemical engineering and chemical physics/physical chemistry that are relevant to industry and society, e.g. separation of greenhouse gases, hydrogen storage, and materials design. There are strong links with experimental groups within the Department, and with the Physics and Chemistry departments.
Previous Group Members
- Dr Jean-marc Leyssale - now at CNRS Bordeaux
- Dr Alexander Atamas - moved to Leiden
- Dr Rui Faratria - now at Porto
- M.B. Sweatman and N. Quirke, 'Modelling gas adsorption in amorphous nanoporous materials' in the Handbook of Theoretical and Computational Nanotechnology (eds. W. Schommers and M. Rieth, American Scientific Publishers, 2006).
- M.B. Sweatman, 'Survey of classical density functionals for modelling hydrogen physisorption at 77 K', Phys. Rev. E 77, 026712 (2008).
- M.B. Sweatman, A.A. Atamas and J.M. Leyssale, 'The self-referential method combined with thermodynamic integration', J. Chem. Phys. 128, 064102 (2008).
- M.B. Sweatman, A.A. Atamas and J.M. Leyssale, 'The self-referential method for linear rigid bodies: Application to hard and Lennard-Jones dumbbells, J. Chem. Phys. 130, 024104 (2009).
- R.P.S Fartaria and M.B. Sweatman, 'Density minimum in the isotropic-nematic transition of hard cut-spheres', Chem. Phys. Lett. 478, 150 (2009).
- M.B. Sweatman, 'Equilibrium behaviour of a novel gas separation process, with application to carbon capture', Chem. Eng. Sci. 65, 3907 (2010).
- M.B. Sweatman, iImproving the equilibrium performance of active carbons for separation processes by coadsorption with low-pressure solvent: application to carbon capture', Adsorption 17, 723 (2011).
- R. Fartaria, N. Javid, R.A. Pethrick, J.J. Liggat, J. Sefcik and M.B. Sweatman, 'Structure of Laponite-strene p-ercursor for production of advanced polymer-clay nanocomposites', Soft Matter 7, 9157 (2011).