BSc Chemical Engineering (CNAA, 1985)
PhD Chemical Engineering (Strathclyde, 1990)
CEng, CSci, FIChemE, FHEA
Carl Schaschke Resume
Tel: 0141 548 2371
- Process Fluid Flow, 18211
- Food Process Engineering, 18366
- Emerging Technologies, CP511
- Chemical Engineering Design, 18475
Research Interests: High Pressure Processing
High pressure processing has attracted considerable interest in recent years in the reaction and extraction of many substances. This group has expertise in supercritical CO2 fluid extraction, high isostatic pressure applications including structural modifications to proteins in foods and viscosity measurement of fluids from liquid foods to mineral oils and biofuels. The group has funding from industry and due to the interdisciplinary nature of the research, collaborates with scientists on projects from the Universities of Glasgow, Edinburgh and York.
- High pressure viscometry measurement of biofuels
- Structural measurement of proteins at high isostatic pressure
- Supercritical recovery of biological material from microbial cells
- Aircraft de-icing fluid development and formulation
- Prosthetic development and testing using biodegradable materials
- Development of biodegradable packaging materials from starch
- Use of nanoparticle clays in the enhancement in physical properties of poly(methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites
- Evaluation of biofuel production and processes in Scotland
- Schaschke, CJ, (2011) Focus on Food Engineering. Series: Food Science and Technology. Editor: Robert J. Shreck. www.novapublishers.com ISBN: 978-1-61209-895-1.
- Schaschke, C.J. (2011) Food Manufacturing. (E-book) Publisher: www.bookboon.com ISBN: 978-87-7681-780-0. pp107.
- Schaschke, CJ, (2011) Developments in High-Pressure Food Processing. Series: Food Science and Technology, www.novapublishers.com ISBN: 978-1-61761-297-8.
- Schaschke, CJ, (2011) Developments in High-Pressure Food Processing. Series: Food Science and Technology, ISBN: 978-1-61761-297-8
- Schaschke, C.J. (2011) How did it all begin? The Chemical Engineer March 2011 No. 837:48-49
- Schaschke, CJ (2010) High Pressure Viscosity Measurement with Falling Body Type Viscometers, Int Rev Chem Eng. 2(5): 564-576.
- Fernandez EP, Schaschke CJ (2010) Viscosity measurement of n-dodecane and n-hexane and their binary mixtures at combined high pressure and ambient and sub-ambient temperatures of 20oC and 5oC, Int Rev Chem Eng. 2(3):364-370.
- Robertson L, Schaschke CJ (2010) Combined high pressure and low temperature viscosity measurement of biodiesel. J Energy and Fuel. 24:1293-1297
- Okpala COR, Piggott JR, Schaschke CJ. (2010) Influence of high-pressure processing (HPP) on the physicochemical properties of fresh cheese. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies. 11:61-67
- Okpala COR, Piggott JR, Schaschke CJ (2009) Effects of high-pressure processing (HPP) on the microbiological, physicochemical and sensory properties of fresh cheeses: A review. African Journal of Biotechnology, 8(25), 7263-7270.
- Schaschke, C.J. (2009) Vitamin Supplements Too much of a good thing?. Biological Science Review. 21(4): 13-16
- Okpala COR, Piggott JR, Schaschke, CJ McNeil B. (2009) Microbiological quality of high-pressure (HP) treated fresh cheese of bovine milk, African Journal of Food Science. 3(11):378-384
- Minyu Z, Schaschke CJ (2009) High Pressure Falling Sinker Liquid Viscosity Determination Without Supplementary Density Data: A New Approach Int J Chem Eng Doi 10.1155/2009/747592
- Paton J.M. Schaschke C J (2009) Viscosity measurement of biodiesel at high pressure with a falling sinker viscometer Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 87:1520-1526.
- Ingram, S, Dennis, H., Hunter, I., Liggat, J., McAdam, C., Pethrick, R., Schaschke, C., Thomson, D. (2008) Influence of clay type on the enhancement in physical properties of in situ polymerised poly(methyl methacrylate) nanocomposites. Polymer Int., 57:1118-1127
- Schaschke, C.J. Balloons (2008): It’s all puff – the physics of balloons. School Science Review 89(329):20-23
- Schaschke, C.J. (2008) Biofuels: How Green is Green? Biological Science Review. 20(3): 10-13
- Schaschke, C.J. (2008) The Alphabet Soup of Vitamins. Biological Science Review. 20(3): 31-34
- Heslop, M.J. Schaschke, C.J. Sefcik, J.D., Richardson, D.J. Russell, P.A., (2008) Measurement of adsorption of a single component from the liquid phase: modelling investigation and sensitivity analysis. Adsorption 14: 639-651
- Schaschke, C.J. Abid. S., Fletcher, I., Heslop M., (2008) Evaluation of a Falling Sinker-Type Viscometer at High Pressure using Edible Oil. J. Food Eng. 87: 51-58
- Schaschke CJ, Abid, S., Heslop, M. (2007) High Pressure Viscosity Measurement of Fatty Acids and Oils. High Pressure Research, 27: 27-34
- Schaschke, CJ, Fluid Mechanics: Worked Examples for Engineers (Institution of Chemical Engineers, 1998) ISBN 0 85295 405 0. pp 320. Reprinted 2000 and 2006.
- Schaschke CJ, Holmberg. E Allio S (2006) Viscosity Measurement of Vegetable Oil at High Pressure Trans IChemE Part C 84(C3) 173-178
- Schaschke CJ (2004) Measurement of air pressure with altitude School Science Rev. 85:13-16
- Vant, SC, Glen, NF, Kontopidis, G, Sawyer, L, Schaschke, CJ, (2002) Volumetric Changes to the Molecular Structure of β-Lactoglobulin Processed at High Pressure. High Temperature-High Pressure 34:705-712
- Bull LA, Schaschke, C.J (2002) Interactive Effects of Pressure, Temperature and Time on the Molecular Structure of Ovalbumin, Lysozyme and β-Lactoglobulin, High Pressure Research, 22: 689-691
- Schaschke C.J. (2001) High Pressure Food Processing, School Science Review 82:115-118
- Schaschke C.J. (2001) Why Become a Scientist? Biological Sciences Review. 13(4):40-41
- Schaschke, C.J. (2001) Artificial Livers, Biological Sciences Review. 13(2):22-25
- Piggott J.R., Schaschke, C.J. (2001) Release Cells and Breath Analysis in Flavour Research, Biomolecular Engineering, 17:129-136
- Tedford, L.-A., Schaschke, C.J. (2000) Induced Structural Change to Beta-Lactoglobulin by Combined Pressure and Temperature, Biochemical Engineering Journal. 5: 73-76
- Schaschke C.J. (2000) Ethanol: Brazil’s Green Fuel, Biological Sciences Review. 13:27-29
- McDonald, L., Schaschke, C.J. (2000) Combined Effect of Pressure, Temperature and Holding Time of Polyphenoloxidase and Peroxidase Activity in Banana (Musa acuminata), Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 80:719-724
- Tedford, L.-A., Smith, D., Schaschke, C.J. (1999) High Pressure Processing Effects on the Molecular Structure of Ovalbumin, Lysozyme and beta-Lactoglobulin, Food Research International, 32: 101-106
- Tedford, L.-A., Schaschke, C.J. (1999) Influence of Combined High Pressure and Temperature on the Structure of Egg and Milk Proteins Food Industry Journal, 2: 125-132
- Tedford, L.-A. Kelly, S.M. Price, N.C., Schaschke, C.J. (1999) Interactive Effects of Pressure, Temperature and Time on the Molecular Structure of β-Lactoglobulin Journal of Food Science, 64(3): 396-399
- Schaschke, C.J. (1999) Proteins under Pressure Biological Science Review, 12: 25-27
- Schaschke, C.J. (1999) Bubbles in Fizzy Drinks, School Science Review, 81: 124-125
- Schaschke CJ (1999) Food Processing Feels the Pressure, The Engineer 3 December p31
- Schaschke, C.J. (1999) Vital Vitamins Biological Sciences Review, 11: 32-35
- Tedford, L.-A., Schaschke, C.J. (1999) High Isostatic Pressure Effects on the Secondary Structure of Ovalbumin and Lysozyme. AIDIC Conference Series 4:259-264.
- Tedford, L.-A. Kelly, S.M. Price, N.C., Schaschke, C.J. (1998) Combined Effects of Thermal and Pressure Processing on Food Protein Structure Institution of Chemical Engineers Trans C, 76: 80-86