This module aims to:
- Develop students' skills with standard embedded systems architectures (eg FPGA).
- Provide a grounded understanding of the design contexts for embedded systems, including mobile platforms, harsh environments, tightly constrained resources and real-time performance requirements.
After completing this module participants will be able to:
- Design and implement embedded systems applications for FPGA devices (eg Xilinx platforms).
- Design embedded applications for mobile devices.
- Identify the key factors governing the design and deployment of embedded systems in different contexts.
- Make use of industry standard design tools for building embedded applications.
- Xilinx FPGA boards; design tools, implementation and deployment techniques.
- Embedded systems in mobile devices.
- Real-time programming and embedded systems.
- Estimation of resource requirements and resource constraint guarantees for embedded systems.
- Secure embedded systems.
- Power-constrained embedded systems: use of sleep modes, wake-up operations and power-saving strategies.
- Issues in digital signal processing and control.
- Interfacing to devices.
* This list is indicative only - the class lecturer may recommend alternative reading material. Please do not purchase any of the reading material listed below until you have confirmed with the class lecturer that it will be used for this class.
Last modified: 01.07.2011