Dr Charles Knapp
Tel : +44 (0)141 548 3351 (Ext. 3351)
Microorganisms are omnipresent and capable of impacting the entire biosphere. They, especially the bacteria, are highly diverse in terms of structure and function, and they can play a major role in cycling of nutrients, remediation of contamination, and public health. Unfortunately, many people often overlook the ecological interactions within the microbial communities that support the process. Understanding these interactions require knowledge of the distribution and abundance of organisms and their interactions in an environmental setting. Further, it requires analytical tools to examine microbial organisms in an effective and timely fashion. Fortunately, high throughput culture-independent molecular methods are allowing researchers to quantitatively monitor these interactions. My research interest involves the integration of state-of-the-art microbiological measurement technologies and ecological principles into the realm of environmental protection and sustainability.
- 2012 to current, Director, David Livingstone Centre for Sustainability
- 2009 to current, Senior Lecturer, University of Strathclyde
- 2006 to 2009, Senior Researcher, Newcastle University, England
- 2006, PDRA, Dept. Geological Sciences, The University of Kansas, USA
- 2002 to 2006, Researcher/instructor; CEAE, The University of Kansas, USA
- Ph.D. Environmental Science, The University of Kansas, USA (2002)
- MSc. Environmental Science (1999)
- BSc. Businesss Administration (1994)
Microbial ecology and environmental microbiology
- Water quality
- Biological indicators of environmental pollution
- Outdoor, microcosm/mesocosm experimental systems
- Microbiological community stability in engineered and natural systems
- PPCP (pharmaceutical & personal care products) in the environment
- Antibiotic resistance in the environment
- Antimicrobial susceptibility assays
- Algal/phytoplankton ecology / biotechnology
Invited presentations/lectures (examples)
- USA: Kansas State University (2013)
- USA: U. Wisconsin-Milwaukee (2013)
- UK: U. Stirling (2012)
- UK: NHS-Scotland (2012)
- UK: Robert Gordon U., Aberdeen (2012)
- Canada: U. Manitoba (Faculty Honour Lecture) (2011)
- Canada: U. Winnipeg, Dept. Chemistry (2011)
- UK: U. Newcastle, Civil Engineering & Geosciences (2009)
- UK: U. Glasgow, Civil Engineering (2009)
- UK: U. Edinburgh, Civil Engineering (2009)
- USA: U. South Carolina, School for the Environment (2008)
- USA: Troy U., School of Biological Sciences (2008)
- Austria: Universitat Wien, Dept. fur Mikrobielle Okologie (2007)
- Ecotoxicology (2013 - current)
- Frontiers in Antimicrobials, Resistance and Chemistry (2011 - current)
Editorial Board memberships
- Science of the Total Environment (2012 - current)
- Antibiotics, Open Access (2012 - current)
- Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (2009 - 2011*)
Peer Review College memberships
- Natural Environment Research Council, UK (2008 - current)
- U.S. National Science Foundation SBIR (2006 -2009)
- PREPARE policy (U. Oxford; 2009*)
- United Nations GESAMP (Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection) (2010-current)
Routine Peer Reviewer (other than as editor)
- Environmental Science & Technology
- ISME (International Society for Microbial Ecology) Journal
- Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry
- Scotsman (24/11/2011)
- Glasgow City of Science (23/11/2011)
- Chemical & Engineering News (2010; vol 88; p-10)
- Dutch Radio1 (07/01/2010)
- Scientific American, 8 March 2010
Recent awards & recognition
- Best Science Paper - Runner-up; Environmental Science & Technology (2009)
- Cover article, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences - USA
- 2012 - Bridging the Gap, with collaboration with Prof. M. Federev & N. Hunt (Physics), Prof. R. Ulijn (Chemistry), Dr. A. Mackenzie (AMRL): "Reconfigurable nanomaterials: a new biologically inspired materials paradigm for environmental protection"
- 2011 – Bridging the Gap, with collaboration with Dr P. Argondizza (Department of Music-Strathclyde U): "Orpheus underground"
- 2011 – "Enhanced removal of nutrients, organic micropollutants, and toxicity from sewage lagoons" (collaboration with U. Manitoba and U. Winnipeg)
- 2011 – EPSRC-Summer Vacation Bursary: "Tertiary treatment in constructed wetlands"
- 2011 – 2014 PhD Scholarship: Unlocking sustainable sources of protein for animal feed
- 2011 – 2014 PhD Scholarship (co-supervise): "Ecology of Legionella in compost"
- 2010 – 2013 EPSRC-DTG (co-supervise): “Ecological recovery of previously contaminated soils"
- 2009 – 2011 EPSRC (co-PI): “Bug-free prosthesis: reducing infection risk and improving reliability”, £201k.
- 2009 – 2012 EPSRC-DTG: “Fate of antibiotic resistance genes upon exposure to heavy-metal pollution”
- 2009 Research Development Fund, "Fate of antibiotic resistance in sewage treatment", £6k
Knowledge Exchange & Industry Research
- 2012 KTP - Scottish Canals (Co-investigator)
- 2012 Scottish Funding Council, FAST (for accelerated sustainable transformations) microbes.
- 2012 Scottish Funding Council, Landfuel: A feasibility study of reusing former landfills for energy using grass production (co-I)
- 2012 Scottish Funding Council, YEAST: yield efficiency assessment and sustainability technologies.
- 2011 Scottish Funding Council, algal biotechnology.
- 2011 David Anderson Bequest funding - visiting researcher (Mark Hanson).
- 2011 (Canada) visiting researcher to U. Manitoba and U. Winnipeg.
- H-Index: 16 (Google Scholar)
- ISI Researcher ID: D-3373-2009
Knapp CW 2013 (Book Review) Patricia L. Keen and Mark H. M. M. Montforts (eds.): Antimicrobial Resistance in the Environment. Ecotoxicology, March.
Anderson JC, JC Carlson, JE Low, JK Challis, CS Wong, CW Knapp, ML Hanson 2013 Performance of a constructed wetland in Grand Marais, Manitoba, Canada: removal of nutrients, pharmaceuticals, and antibiotic resistance genes from municipal wastewater. Chemistry Central Journal 7:54.
CW Knapp, L Lima, S Olivares-Rieumont, E Bowen, D Werner, DW Graham 2012 Seasonal variations in antibiotic resistance gene transport in the Almendares River, Havana, Cuba. Frontiers in Microbiology 3: 396. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2012.00396.
Kates LN, C Gauchotte-Lindsay, N Nic Daéid, RM Kalin, CW Knapp, HE Keenan 2012 Prediction of the environmental fate of methylamphetamine waste. Environmental Forensics: Proceedings of the 2011 INEF Conference (book chapter): 262-74.
Ofiţeru ID, M Ferdeş, CW Knapp, DW Graham, V Lavric 2012 Conditional confined oscillatory dynamics of Escherichia coli strain K12-MG1655 in chemostat systems. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 94(1): 185-192.
Knapp CW, McCluskey SM, Singh B, Campbell CD, Hudson G, Graham DW 2011 Antibiotic resistance gene abundances correlate with metal and geochemical conditions in archived Scottish soils. PLoS One. 6(11).
McCluskey SM; CW Knapp 2011 Predicting antibiotic resistance... Frontiers in Microbiology 2:178.
El Ghazouani, A Basle, SJ Firbank, CW Knapp, J Gray, DW Graham, C Dennison 2011 Copper-binding properties and structures of methanobactins from Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b. Inorganic Chemistry 50(4): 1378-1391.
Graham DW; S Olivares-Rieumont; CW Knapp; L Lima; D Werner; E Bowen. 2011 Antibiotic resistance gene abundances associated with waste discharges to the Almendares river near Havana, Cuba. Environmental Science & Technology 45: 418-424.
Graham DW; C Trippett; WK Dodds; JM O'Brien; EBK Banner; IM Head; MS Smith; RK Yang; CW Knapp. 2010 Correlations between in situ denitrification activity and nir gene abundances in pristine and impacted prairie streams. Environmental Pollution 158: 3225-9.
Knapp, CW; J Dolfing; PAI Ehlert; DW Graham. 2010 Evidence of increasing antibiotic resistance gene abundances in archived soils since 1940. Environmental Science & Technology, 44: 580-587.
Knapp, CW; W Zang; BSM Sturm; DW Graham. 2010 Differential fate of erythromycin and beta-lactam resistance genes from swine lagoon waste under different aquatic conditions. Environmental Pollution 158: 1506-1512.
Zhang, W.; BSM Sturm; CW Knapp; DW Graham. 2009 Accumulation of tetracycline resistance genes in aquatic biofilms due to periodic waste loadings from swine lagoons. Environmental Science & Technology, 43: 7643-7650.
Knapp, CW; WK Dodds; KC Wilson; JM O'Brien; DW Graham. 2009 Spatial heterogeneity of denitrification genes in a highly homogenous urban stream. Environmental Science & Technology, 43: 4273-4279.
Knapp, CW; DL Findlay; KA Kidd; DW Graham. 2008 A comparative assessment of molecular biological and direct microscopic techniques for assessing aquatic systems. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 145 (1-3): 465-473.
Knapp, CW; CA Engemann; ML Hanson; PL Keen; KJ Hall; DW Graham. 2008 Indirect evidence of transposon-mediated selection of antibiotic resistance genes in aquatic systems at low-level oxytetracycline Exposures. Environmental Science & Technology, 42 (14): 5348-5353.
Engemann, CA; PL Keen; CW Knapp; KJ Hall; DW Graham. 2008 Fate of tetracycline resistance genes in aquatic systems: Migration from the water column to peripheral biofilms. Environmental Science & Technology, 42 (14): 5131-5136.
Peak, N; CW Knapp; RK Yang; MM Hanfelt; MS Smith; DS Aga; DW Graham. 2007 Abundance of six tetracycline resistance genes in wastewater lagoons at cattle feedlots with different antibiotic use strategies. Environmental Microbiology, 9(1), 143-151.
Knapp, CW; DA Fowle; E Kulczycki; JA Roberts; DW Graham. 2007 Methane monooxygenase gene expression mediated by methanobactin in the presence of mineral copper sources. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United states of America, 104(29), 12040-12045.
Kulczycki, E; DA Fowle; CW Knapp; DW Graham; JA Roberts. 2007 Methanobactin-promoted Dissolution of Cu-substituted Borosilicate Glass. Geobiology, 5, 251-263.
Knapp, CW; Graham, DW. 2007 Nitrite-oxidizing bacteria guild ecology associated with nitrification failure in a continuous-flow reactor. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 62, 195-201.
Graham, DW; CW Knapp; ES Van Vleck; K Bloor;TB Lane; CE Graham. 2007 Experimental demonstration of chaotic instability in biological nitrification. The ISME Journal, 1(5), 385-393.
Hanson, ML; DW Graham; E Babin; D Azam; A-M Coutellec; CW Knapp; L Lagadic; T Caquet. 2007 Influence of isolation on the recovery of pond mesocosms from the application of an insectide: study design and planktonic community responses. Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, 26, 1265-1279.
Hanson, ML; CW Knapp; DW Graham. 2006 Field assessment of oxytetracycline exposure to the freshwater macrophytes Egeria densa Planch. and Ceratophyllum demersum L. Environmental Pollution, 141, 434-442.
Engemann, CA; L Adams; CW Knapp; DW Graham. 2006 Disappearance of oxytetracycline resistance genes in aquatic systems. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 263, 176-182.
Cardoza, LA; CW Knapp, CK Larive, JB Belden, M. Lydy, and D.W. Graham. 2005 Factors affecting the fate of ciprofloxacin in aquatic field systems. Water Air and Soil Pollution, 161 (1-4), 383-398.
Knapp, CW, LA Cardoza; J Hawes; EMH Wellington; CK Larive; DW Graham. 2005 Fate and effects of enrofloxacin in aquatic systems under different light conditions. Environmental Science & Technology, 39, 9140-9146.
Chang, LW; GP Toth; DA Gordon; DW Graham; JR Meier; CW Knapp; J deNoyelles; S Campbell; DL Lattier. 2005 Responses of molecular indicators of exposure in mesocosms: common carp (Cyprinus carpio) exposed to the herbicides alachlor and atrazine. Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, 24, 190-197.
Gordon, DA; GP Toth; DW Graham; JA Lazorchak; TV Redd; CW Knapp; F. deNoyelles; S Campbell; DL Lattier. 2005 Effects of eutrophication on vitellogenin gene expression in male fatehead minnows (Pimephales promelas) exposed to 17 alpha-ethynylestradiol in field mesocosms. Environmental Pollution, 142 (3): 559-566.
Knapp, C.W, L. Lagadic, T. Caquet, M.L. Hanson, and D.W. Graham. 2005 Response of water column microbial communities to sudden exposure to deltamethrin in aquatic mesocosms. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 54, 157-165.
Knapp, C.W. and D.W. Graham. 2004 Development of Alternate ssu-rRNA Probing Strategies for Characterizing Aquatic Microbial Communities. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 56, 323-330.
Smith, MS; RK Yang; CW Knapp; Y Niu; N Peak; M Hanfelt; JS Galland; DW Graham. 2004 Quantification of tetracycline resistance genes in feedlot lagoons by real-time PCR. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 70, 7372-7377.
Ensz, AE, CW Knapp, DW Graham. 2003 Influence of Autochthonous Dissolved Organic Carbon and Nutrient Limitation on Alachlor Biotransformation in Aerobic Aquatic Systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 37 (18), 4157-4162.
Knapp, C.W.; Graham, D.W.; Steedman, R.J.; deNoyelles, F. 2003 Deep chlorophyll maxima in small boreal forest lakes after experimental catchment and shoreline logging. Boreal Environment Research, 8 (1), 9-18.
Knapp, C.W.; Graham, D.W.; Berardesco, G.; deNoyelles, F.; Cutak, B.J.; Larive, C.K. 2003 Nutrient level, microbial activity, and alachlor transformation in aerobic aquatic systems. Water Research, 37, 4761-4769.
Knapp, CW; F deNoyelles; DW Graham; S Bergin. 2003 Physical and chemical conditions surrounding the diurnal vertical migration of Cryptomonas spp. (Cryptophyceae) in a seasonally stratified midwestern reservoir (U.S.A.). Journal of Phycology, 39(5), 855-861.
- Jeremy Deeks (2011 - 2012*) Project Orpheus
- Neil McCosh (2011 - 2012*) Underground nitrogen contamination
- McCosh N "Franken-soils"
- Hillenkamp M Waste management strategies for food & drink industries.
- Currie S (2nd supervisor) Ecology of Legionella in compost.
- Brennan A (2nd supervisor)
- Catalina Silva-Plata (2nd supervisor) Socio-ecological resilience and water
- Pape A (co-supervisor) Ecosystem recovery in formerly contaminated soils.
- Agbeze-Onuma M (2nd supervisor) Engineering application of ultrasound.
- McCluskey S Metal and antibiotic resistance in the environment.
- Kates L (2nd supervisor) Biodegradation of methylamphetamine waste in the environment.
- Limage E Risks associated with metal-contaminated lands on grazing animals
- Gray H Linking bacterial community changes and PAH degradation
- Miller R (2011*) The effect of ultrasound on plasmid mobility in soil
- Sherrard T (2011*) Bacteria population dynamics in bioreactors
- Skordou U (2011*; co-supervisor) Water flow & nutrient retention in smouldered soils
MSc/MEng -related lab staff
- Dalgleish J (2012*) Comparison of N-removal in sub-surface wetlands
- Anderson S (2011*) Gene pollution & wetlands
- Zachariou R (2011*) Chemical pollution removal by wetlands
- McCosh (2011*) Biochar effects on fungal activity
- Deeks J (2011*) Comparison of eDNA and diatom evidence in sediment cores
- Holloway L (2010*) Algal biotechnology
- Currie S (2010*) Antimicrobial resistance in Clyde estuary
- Dalgleish J (2011*) Sub-surface tertiary treatment of wastes
- Eisa A (2010*) Bacterial activity upon exposure to self-assembling nano-particles
- MSc Env. Engineering - course director (2012-)
- *Acting Director, PG Studies (2012)
- *MSc Env. Science - course director (2009-2011)
- Seminars: Advanced statistical analysis
- Seminar: Dissertation workshop
- *Year 2 advisor of studies (Civil Engineering; 2011-12)
- *Year 2 advisor of studies (Structural & Architectural Engineering; 2011-12)
Course registrar & lecturer:
- EV908 - Pollution and Rehabilitation of Degraded Ecosystems (2012 - current)
- CL948 - Principles of environmental microbiology (2011 - current)
- *CL215 - Statistics & model analysis (2009-12)
- CL420 - Water Engineering 2 (2013 - current)
- CL931 - Research methodologies (2010 - current)
- BM304 - Microbiology - exploiting microbes (2012 - current)
- CL963 - Environmental chemistry (2012 - current)