crowd walking out of focus

MPhil, PhD, DEdPsyPsychology

Research opportunities

You can study an MPhil over the course of one year, a DEdPsy over two years or a PhD over three years.

MPhil and PhD

You can study either an MPhil or a PhD within any of our three research areas:

As part of your MPhil or PhD, you'll be enrolled on a Postgraduate Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PgCert RDP) course for which you'll have to complete a range of personal, professional and career development activities.

These activities aim to develop the transferrable skills you'll use throughout your career and also within a particular researcher development framework.


Our DEdPsy degree is specific to Educational Psychology.

Postgraduate Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PG Cert RPD) programme 

As part of your PhD degree, you'll be enrolled on the Postgraduate Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PG Cert RPD). 

This certificate is designed to support you with your research and rewards you for things you'll do as a research student here.

It'll help you improve skills which are important to professional development and employability:

  • the knowledge and intellectual abilities to conduct your research
  • the personal qualities to succeed in your research and chosen career
  • the standards, requirements and conduct of a professional researcher in your discipline
  • working with others and communicating the impact of your research to a wide range of audiences

All you have to do is plan these activities alongside your doctorate, documenting and reflecting your journey to success along the way.

Find out more about the PG Cert RPD programme.



Fees & funding


All fees quoted are per academic year unless stated otherwise.

Here are our fees for 2015/2016:

Scotland/ EU

  • £4,052 (full-time)

Rest of UK

  • £4,052 (full-time)

International students

  • £11,250 (full-time)


Have a look at our scholarship search for funding opportunities.

Research Council studentships (AHRC, BBSRC, ESPRC, ESRC, MRC, NERC, STFC)

  • Full Research Council studentships can only be awarded to UK and EU students.
  • If you're an EU student, you're eligible for Research Council studentships if you've been living in the UK for three years, including for studying, immediately before starting your PhD.
  • If you're an EU student and you haven't been living in the UK for three years, you may be eligible for a 'fees only' studentship.
  • If you're an International student, you can only be funded by a Research Council if you have the Right to Abode (ie if your passport describes you as a British citizen), if you have Indefinite leave to remain in the UK or have the right of permanent residence in the UK under EC law. 
  • If you have full Refugee status, you're eligible for fees and stipend.

Travel awards

Postgraduate Research Travel Award

This award contributes to the costs of conference and international travel for research purposes. The fund is open all year round but you can only make one application during your PhD.

Mac Robertson Travel Award

This is a joint fund between the University of Strathclyde and the University of Glasgow.

It provides funding for students studying an PhD or an MRes, to undertake a course that lasts from two months to a year at a centre of advanced study either in or outside Scotland. It doesn't cover conference travel and applications close in May each year.

Finn Randall Travel Award

This award was created in memory of Finn Randall, an alumnus of the University of Strathclyde and an adventurous traveller.

It was established to help a registered student with the cost of a particular travel scheme that's considered to be the most enterprising and relevant to their course of study. It doesn't cover conference attendance or travel for research purposes. Applications close in March each year.

The fees shown are annual and may be subject to an increase each year.

How can I apply?

You can apply for a postgraduate research degree at any point in the year.

All you have to do is complete an online application.

Entry Requirements

MPhil & PhD

We look for a first or 2:1 UK Honours degree, or overseas equivalent, in Psychology or a similar discipline.

However, the majority of our MPhil and PhD students will usually have completed a Master's degree in Psychology after their Honours degree.

Also, if English isn't your first language, you'll also need to have a recent UKVI recognised Secture English Language Test (SELT) qualification.


You'll need to be a practising educational psychologist when you're planning to join this programme.

Your application must be supported by the Principal Educational Psychologist of the service you're working in.

The application

During the application you'll be asked for the following:

  • your full contact details
  • transcripts and certificates of all degrees
  • proof of English language proficiency if English isn't your first language
  • two references, one of which must be academic
  • funding or scholarship information
  • research proposal of 250-1,000 words in length, detailing the subject area and topic to be investigated

By filling these details out as fully as possible, you'll avoid any delay to your application being processed by the University.


You'll need to identify your research supervisor before you finalise your application, preferably as soon as possible.

When you've identified a potential supervisor, based upon how well your research interests match theirs, drop them an email to introduce yourself.

In the email, make sure you attach a draft of your research proposal along with a copy of your CV.

Don't worry about how rough your research proposal may be at this stage - you'll have help from the School of Psychological Sciences and Health to refine it.

If your chosen supervisor if available to work with you, they'll confirm this and nominate a potential second supervisor.

As soon as a second supervisor is confirmed, an offer of study will be sent to you through Pegasus, our online application system.

If you accept our offer, you'll then be sent a full offer in writing via the email address you provide.

Accepting an offer

Once you've accepted our offer, we'll need you to fulfil any academic, administrative or financial conditions that we ask.

UK or EU students

If you're applying as a Scottish, UK or EU student, you'll then be issued with your registration documentation.

You can apply for a postgraduate research degree at any point in the year.

All you have to do is complete an online application.

Support & development

The Graduate School

The Graduate School is a friendly and supportive study environment for all our research students studying subjects within Humanities & Social Sciences.

Our staff will support you through our studies and you'll become part of a community of students who get involved with out workshops, seminars and competitions.

Postgraduate Certificate in Researcher Professional Development (PgCert RPD)

Our PgCert RPD programme aims to ensure you get the most out of your current research activities at Strathclyde and help you prepare for your future career as a researcher.

We'll help you recognise and develop your transferrable skills that'll have a positive impact on your research, now and in the future.


We have a great careers service here at Strathclyde that can help you with everything from writing your CV to interview preparation.

Student support

From financial advice to our IT facilities, we have loads of different support for all students here at our University.

Discover more about our psychology