At DMEM we seek to be the very best. We sit in the top ten of all UK universities in research performance power rankings, for both business and management studies as well as mechanical, aeronautical and manufacturing engineering.
- The DMEM Research Vision
- The DMEM Research Mission
- Enabling Total Engineering
- Research areas
- The DMEM Research Approach
The DMEM Research Vision
Our research vision is for DMEM to be recognised as the world’s leading international research centre for Total Engineering. We are achieving this through excellence in:
- product design and development,
- manufacturing technology, and
- engineering management.
The DMEM Research Mission
At DMEM our research mission is to develop an academic brand Enabling Total Engineering by bringing together product design and development, manufacturing technology and engineering management research in one place. This in turn will bring even greater scope for research collaboration while ensuring appropriate theoretical grounding.
Total Engineering at DMEM
Total Engineering is a holistic and inclusive approach to business and manufacturing. Its philosophy is to provide solutions to a range of multidisciplinary global challenges by applying engineering thinking to those challenges.
Total Engineering means applying engineering process and techniques to all levels of business and manufacture from high level strategic thinking through all operational processes in order to improve all aspects of business and manufacturing.
Research at DMEM focuses on three key areas. They are:
- Product Design and Development. Research into methods and computer support of the design process. Product design and development focuses on the development of computing technology to support a creative design partnership between man and machine, and then to deliver the underlying technology, techniques and approaches to industry.
- Manufacturing Technology. Focusing on sustainable manufacturing with an emphasis on metal forming and related fields such as process design, machine analysis and design, tool design and fabrication, materials and constitutive models, FE simulation and CAD/CAM.
- Engineering Management. Research centred on enabling sustainable performance in manufacturing and service enterprises - focusing on performance management, high value manufacturing, innovation, dynamic capabilities, supply/value chains.