Nominations must be submitted using the appropriate form.
Members of Court will also be invited to make nominations. Faculties will be expected to bring forward nominees who demonstrate global leadership in their relevant disciplines.
Nominations should be considered by the Faculty management team and put forward with the endorsement of the Dean. Although it will not actively encourage nominations from people unconnected with the University, any such nominations will be considered.
Nominations are confidential, and nominees must not be informed that they are being put forward for an award.
Nominees and others are expected to respect the integrity of the process and to respect the independence of the Honorary Degrees Advisory Group. Lobbying is not allowed.
Members of the group will rely on information supplied to them. Any conflicts of interest will be noted in the minutes, and where appropriate members will not participate in the relevant decision.
The following information is required:
- Personal and/or contact details of the nominee
- Evidence-based citation which demonstrates how the individual meets the criteria
- An outline of how the University may grow and develop the relationship in the years after the award is made.
- Details of any other awards/degrees made to the nominee
- Details of any connection with the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow or Scotland
- Full CV, if available and if it can be obtained while maintaining confidentiality
- Name of nominator/nominating Department or Faculty
Nominations will be considered by the Honorary Degrees Advisory Group, chaired by the Principal. Nominators may be
asked to provide additional information and there may be consultation with colleagues with specialist knowledge.
The reasons for the award of Honorary Degrees will be made explicit in recommendations to Senate, and in subsequent
publicity. Senate will have 10 days after notification to lodge any comments or objections with the Principal.
To ensure confidentiality, the University will not comment on unsuccessful honorary degree nominations. Nominations
will be live for a two-year period. If no announcement is made by the end of that period, nominators should assume that the application has been unsuccessful on this occasion. A new nomination can be submitted and will be considered in the normal way.