School of Social Work & Social Policy

main content

The School of Social Work and Social Policy is one of six schools in the  Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) and brings together staff from a range of disciplines to address contemporary issues in the areas of Social Work and Social Policy.

Our interdisciplinary research and knowledge exchange contributes towards responding to challenges in society by shaping policy and practice through partnerships with national and international agencies.  We are involved in a range of international projects, funded by UK Research Councils, governments, charities and international funding bodies. 

The School hosts the Centre for Excellence for Looked After Children in Scotland (CELCIS), the national centre funded by the Scottish Government with the purpose of assisting local, national and international agencies in improving the lives of looked after children and enhancing research, knowledge and practice.

The School is also home to the Centre for Youth and Criminal Justice (CYCJ) - Scotland's national youth justice centre.  CYCJ is funded by the Scottish Government and supports improvement in youth justice, contributing to the realisation of better lives for individuals and communities.

High quality, international-level research is conducted across different theoretical and empirical areas, with particular expertise in:

  • Children and Young People (with specialisms in looked-after children and vulnerable young people in care, and youth and criminal justice)
  • Health and Wellbeing (both historical analysis and contemporary areas such as mental health and older people)
  • Citizenship and Communities (with a focus on ethnicity, identity, disability and sustainable communities)

All staff, postgraduate and doctoral students in the School of Social Work and Social Policy are based in the newly refurbished Lord Hope Building on the University of Strathclyde’s John Anderson Campus which includes our state of the art HaSS Graduate School.

For further information on postgraduate courses and opportunities to conduct doctoral research, please refer to the subject area pages or contact