Glasgow School of Social Work
The Glasgow School of Social Work is a joint initiative between the Universities of Glasgow and Strathclyde, and is now one of the largest providers of social work education and training in Scotland, offering qualifying courses such as the BA (Honours) Social Work and the Postgraduate Diploma/Master in Social Work, both validated by the Scottish Social Services Council levels, and post-qualifying courses in Social Work Management, Community Care, Residential Child Care and Mental Health Social Work. We also offer opportunities for postgraduate research at Masters and Doctoral level.
Staff have a wide range of professional and research experience which contributes to a stimulating environment for learning. Research is focused on the following key areas :
- Professional Education
- Criminal Justice and Youth Justice
- Children, Young People and Families
- Community Care and Community Development
Teaching and research is supported and enhanced through our links to various centres and initiatives :
- The Centre For Excellence For Looked After Children (CELCIS) a major Scottish Government funded initiative working to improve the lives of all looked after children in Scotland.
- Community Care Works is an on-line database of good practice in community care. The database brings together details of practice and research and facilitates dissemination to practitioners and managers.
- The Glasgow Centre for the Child & Society carries out research, consultancy and policy advice in the areas of child welfare, children's rights, child protection, and young people and crime.