The MSc in Power Plant Engineering is Scotland's first part-time course providing accelerated training for those working in or wishing to work in the conventional or renewable Power Generation industry.
This course is designed to meet industrial demand for qualified staff in this area. It is particularly relevant for graduates wishing to work in the Power Generation industry and the businesses that support it, or for employees already working in this field.
With input from across the engineering disciplines and significant industrial contribution, this courses provide students with in-depth training of how conventional, renewable and nuclear Power Plants operate.
Teaching combines academic and industrial lectures, with on-site visits to industry and seminars presented by visiting experts from the UK and overseas. Technical classes provide an overview of Power Plant operations and in-depth knowledge of Power Plant functions, maintenance and optimisation.
INSTRUCTIONAL MODULES (TECHNICAL) Select 9
• Power Plant Systems
• Electrical Power Systems
• Energy Resources and Policy
• Advanced Boiler Technologies I
• Advanced Boiler Technologies II
• Environmental Performance and Related Technologies
• Materials for Power Plant
• Gas & Steam Turbines & Generators
• Nuclear Power Systems
INSTRUCTIONAL MODULES (GENERIC) Select 3 from 6:
• Design Management
• Project Management
• Environmental Impact and Sustainability
• Information Management
• Financial Engineering
• Risk Analysis
MSc students also take an individual project which allows study of a selected topic in depth. This may be an industry based project or one aligned to engineering research at Strathclyde.
Entry Requirements & Scholarships
• MSc: First degree or other qualification equivalent to first- or second-class Honours degree from a UK university in engineering or physical science.
• PGDip/PG Cert: Normally a first degree, but other applicants will be considered.
• Some funded studentships may be available for MSc or PgDip candidates. Please contact the Faculty for details.