- be able to describe and explain the ceremonies and customs associated with the celebration of Hannukah;
- know and understand the part played by Judas Maccabeus in the revolt against Antiochus;
- be able to explain the beliefs which led the Jews to rebel against the Syrians;
- understand the important role the temple had in the life of the Jewish community;
- be aware of the prominence given to loyalty and commitment in the Hannukah story;
- understand how the celebration of Hannukah reinforces Jewish teaching about their identity and role.
- explore and show some understanding of the general moral principles of justice, tolerance and equality;
- be able to apply moral principles to the issue of prejudice;
- be able to explore these principles in their own life experience;
- begin to explore situations of moral conflict and be able to offer a reasoned personal opinion;
- appreciate that religion can offer meaning, value and purpose in life;
- be able to explore their own ideas of meaning, value and purpose generally and in relation to themselves.