Productivity through People – Driving Growth Through Better Workplace Practices
Productivity through People is a 10-month, cohort based executive education programme for leaders within SMEs wishing to “work on the business, not in the business”. It is an opportunity to share critical insights for success regarding people, leadership, communications, innovation and, ultimately, productivity. The objective of the programme is to help leaders create a high-performance workplace with a fully-engaged, productive workforce. Delivered in collaboration with and subsidised by five world class organisations, GSK, Rolls-Royce, BAE Systems, Leonardo and The John Lewis Partnership, the programme is endorsed by Be the Business, the business-led organisation created to boost management skills and close the UK’s productivity gap.
Delivered at the University of Strathclyde’s award-winning Business School, the programme blends classroom learning and pragmatism with firms receiving inputs from peers as well as visits to best practice organisations to share knowledge and insights that can be put into practice quickly to accelerate performance. In addition to meeting and learning from industry leaders, course attendees build peer networks to help them work together to solve challenges and meet opportunities.
"In any organisation, people are the key to growth – of ideas, innovation, capability and productivity. Investing in people and teams – inspiring and equipping them to do their best work together – is not only smart but essential to sustainable successful business performance."
Roger Connor President, Global Manufacturing & Supply, GSK
Complementing the Growth Advantage Programme (our unique programme for managing directors, owners and visionary leaders of growth companies in Scotland), Productivity through People is aimed at the leadership teams of established businesses with a minimum £2 million turnover and a staff of over 20 people and which have real growth ambitions.
To get the most from the programme we recommend that participants should be senior managers within the firm with authority to make change happen.
The 14 companies that completed the inaugural Productivity through People programme had an average of over £5million in annual revenues and 50 employees at the start of the programme and came from all over Scotland, from a wide range of sectors and included companies started from scratch, bought and multi-generation family businesses - all with ambitions to grow.
Induction Event: This programme begins with a one-day workshop with benchmarking exercises to establish a baseline for each participant from which to develop. This is followed by a dinner to start to establish a strong and trusting peer network group.
Following Induction, delegates will undertake four two-day modules of activity every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Empowering Leadership: moving from a command and control stance to coaching and development, led by senior management
- Innovation / Technology: showing innovation as a key to the future – not a threat. Piloting new initiatives and joint learning, rather than forced change
- Enhancing Communication: building strong communication across the business, with effective listening mechanisms that celebrate success.
- Aligning the Business: managing the consequences of accelerating change. Ensuring the front line is in line with the business goals
Each module includes a site visit to a partner organisation to look in detail at how the organisation has implemented its own better workplace practices.
The 2019 Productivity through People programme starts in May 2019 and will take place at Strathclyde Business School in Glasgow.
Key dates for this programme are:
- Induction Session – Wednesday 29 May 2019
- Empowering Leadership – Wednesday 19 & Thursday 20 June 2019
- Innovation / Technology – Wednesday 28 & Thursday 29 August 2019
- Enhancing Communication – Wednesday 9 & Thursday 10 October 2019
- Aligning the Business – Wednesday 20 & Thursday 21 November 2019
- Reflection and Actions Review – Wednesday 29 January 2020
- Empower and engage front line staﬀ leading to better usage of skills and abilities - transforming management practice, developing leadership skills and adopting modern work practices delivered through a unique experiential learning programme
- Develop a support network with other SME owner/ managers – collaborating with like-minded peers to build a more productive future together
- Exposure to world class manufacturing and operational environments – enabling you to formulate high-performance workplace strategies. Benchmark against best in class organisations and develop a measurable action plan for continuous improvement
- Enhanced productivity and growth for businesses
- Creation of an open organisational culture that is positive, supportive and conducive to innovation and change to develop business growth.
This programme has received significant investment from our strategic partners, both in its design and finance. As a result, the subsidised cost of this programme is only £2,500 per delegate.
We're always happy to talk about how the programme could benefit you. Please get in touch with us to find out more and register your interest