Learning & teaching: development & support
The Learning and Teaching Development team provide training and support for all aspects of learning and teaching, with a focus on blended and online delivery.
Sign up for our tailored programme of wellbeing support for staff involved in learning and teaching – a 10-week ‘Keeping well, Teaching well’ series.
This page provides the guidance and resources for staff undertaking teaching where the normal capacity of the campus to support teaching and learning is interrupted.
Academic continuity guidance
Academic Continuity Guidance to support online and blended delivery has been developed. It covers live teaching (Using Zoom with Myplace), online collaboration (Using Zoom outside of Myplace), pre-recorded teaching, assessment, resources and support contacts.
Blended learning guidance
Guidance for planning and delivering Blended Learning has been provided, overseen by the Education Strategy Committee, with input from the faculties.
Central pool teaching rooms
Have a look at the new layouts of our Central Pool Teaching rooms. You'll need to log on using your DS username.
Covid-19 tracking attendance: guidance for staff
To support efforts to minimise the risk of transmission of Covid-19 on campus, it is important that we keep track of who is in the room for face-to-face teaching events. As a result, we are using QR codes to monitor who is in attendance at all scheduled on-campus teaching.
- Take a look at our ULab QR codes instructions for staff
- You can also take a look at our ULab QR codes instructions for students
Online study skills
A single point of information about the availability of online study skills training and support, in addition to what is offered by each faculty, school, or programme for their specific disciplines.
Recording Zoom sessions
Self-recorded video reusability guidance
This document provides guidance on producing video for teaching at home.
Student Engagement guidance
Our student engagement guidance assists with consideration of:
- risk to individual student retention in an online class
- risk of low engagement of an individual student in an online class
Transcription & captions
Take a look at our transcription and captions guidance.
Staff development is currently delivered online by Education Enhancement and OSDU. These are updated on the Development and Training Gateway. Sessions include:
- Planning Blended Learning
- Flip Your Classroom
- Teaching and Learning Online (TALON)
- Blended/Online Course Design for Programme Leaders
- The SPARK class Course ReDesign
- Blended and Online Learning and Teaching Drop-In Sessions
- Teaching with Zoom
- Studio in Your Pocket (how to self-record)
- Success on Screen
- Getting Started with Myplace Online
Other Internal Resources
- Sharing Practice in Effective Learning and Teaching (SPELT)
- Procedure for Markers & Boards of Examiners in Response to Covid-19 (Staff, internal only)
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HaSS) Guidance for Pivoting Teaching, Learning and Assessment to Online or Blended Delivery
- Guidelines on the Recording of Zoom Teaching Sessions
- Guidance for the use of Transcription and Captioning
- Guidance for the Sustainable Use of Self-recorded Video
- Advance HE Essential Frameworks for Enhancing Student Success: Flexible Learning
- Hodges, C., Moore, S., Lockee, B., Trust, T., & Bond, A. (2020). The Difference Between Emergency Remote Teaching and Online Learning
- Practice-Based Activities: Labs, Studios and Fieldwork. (2020). Responsive Blended Learning
- QAA Scotland (also included in the QAA UK resources)
- QAA Covid-19 Guidance: Preserving Quality and Standards Through a Time of Rapid Change: UK Higher Education in 2020-21
- University of Huddersfield Blended Learning Content Generation: A Guide for Busy Academics; Richard Hill
- QAA: Building a taxonomy for digital learning
- QAA: Questions to Inform a Toolkit for Enhancing Quality in a Digital Environment
- Advance HE: Creating Socially Distanced Campuses and Education Project