Dear Strathclyde Doctoral Students,
Ahead of our virtual catch up later today I wanted to share some important information regarding the reopening of the University Library next week.
As I have mentioned previously, the work of the University’s Return & Resume Development Group (RRDG), on which I sit to represent our doctoral community, is making good progress in its assessment of all aspects of a gradual and safe return to campus operation.
The overarching principle of ensuring the safety, health and wellbeing of all of our staff and students has always and continues to be central to decisions taken and recommendations made by RRDG.
The preparations for returning to campus have continued at pace and I am delighted to confirm that, following the rigorous assessment of building safety, the Curran Building is ready to re-open and the doors of the Andersonian Library will open on Monday 24 August.
A huge amount of work has gone into these preparations to open this key building which is a central part of the university community and is vital to the delivery of a first-class student experience.
In accordance with our people-oriented values and to ensure the health and safety of the Strathclyde community, all PhD students planning to use the libraries facilities must complete this self-assessment form which should be sent to your supervisor prior to visiting the building.
If the requirement for further advice/assessment is identified, you will be referred by your supervisor to the University’s Disability & Wellbeing Service for a Student Health Assessment with a Health & Wellbeing Adviser. The appointment will be offered via Zoom/telephone and the outcome of the discussion, outlining your fitness to come on to campus, will be communicated to you and your supervisor.
New measures in place
In line with Scottish Government and University guidance enhanced safety measures are in place, including limits on the number of people allowed into the building at any one time, one-way systems and newly-installed safety screens on Welcome and Enquiries desks.
Important rule changes:
- Do not enter the Library building if you’re showing any symptoms of COVID-19
- You must wear a face covering at all times once inside the Library building, except where an exemption applies (as defined in the legislation)
- For the time being there will be no food allowed in any part of the Library. Drinks are still permitted, in containers with lids, and water coolers will be available for staff and student use
- We may be required to release Library entry and exit data in support of NHS Scotland's Test & Protect service
- We are opening the Library to support solo working. For the time being there are no group study facilities. Please continue to use collaboration tools (such as Zoom) for group work
Please watch this video for more detailed information on what to expect and prepare for when you visit the Library.
Library opening hours
Please also note that from Monday 24 August until further notice, the Library’s opening hours will be:
- Library building: 9am-5pm
- Enquiries Desk: 10am-4pm
- Enquiries (phone and email): 9am-5pm
The Library will be closed on Saturdays and Sundays.