A traffic light system has been introduced for international travel. If you are travelling directly from overseas to Scotland, you must check the Scottish Government website for the most up to date information on travel. When you arrive in Scotland from abroad, what you must do depends on where you have been in the 10 days prior to arrival and whether the country or area you have travelled from is on the red, amber or green list.
Scottish Government guidance confirms that full-time international students with a valid visa are permitted to travel to the UK from a UKVI red list country, but are required to enter mandatory hotel quarantine for a period of 10 days from the point of arrival.
To provide support and reassurance to any student groups impacted by this policy, we are delighted to confirm that the University of Strathclyde will meet the additional quarantine costs of up to £2,285 incurred by any of our new and returning students joining us in September. Students arriving from a red list country who are required to quarantine in mandatory hotel accommodation will be able to access this quarantine support funding
Free COVID-19 lateral flow test kits are available to all staff and students to ensure that the campus remains a safe place to live, work and study. Everyone can order lateral flow tests online from the Scottish Government website or pick them up in the local community.
Quarantine support funding will apply to:
- Strathclyde applicants who are resident in a red list country arriving in the UK commencing a course of study in Academic Year 2021/22
- funding will also apply to current Strathclyde students who are resident in a red list country who are returning to the UK to continue studies that require them to register for some or all of the next academic year
When making travel plans, students who are resident in amber and green list countries are advised to avoid transiting through a red list country.
Please note the University is not able to provide financial support for quarantine costs for any dependents or family members who travel to the UK with you.
Process for reimbursement
Students should book their quarantine hotel accommodation through the links on the UK Government website (please ensure you follow the relevant links for arrival to England or Scotland depending on your flight).
Quarantine support funding will apply to students undertaking a period of hotel quarantine anywhere in the UK.
The reimbursement for managed isolation will be paid as a direct payment to students. Further details noted below:
Before you complete the form, please ensure you have the following:
- a copy of your flight booking confirmation, from your departure point to the UK. This must clearly show your name.
- your hotel isolation invoice or booking confirmation clearly showing your name, start and end date of quarantine
- your Strathclyde username and password, you will receive this when you have registered for the academic year 2021/22. To register, please visit our registration pages.
- you will be required to open a UK bank account to which we will refund the fees. For more information and guidance on opening a bank account in the UK please visit our page on setting up a UK bank account for advice and guidance