Dear Strathclyde student,
I hope you have been getting some well-earned rest and relaxation this week in the final few days before Christmas. Given the rapidly changing situation with the new strain of Covid-19, I wanted to update you on how the University is responding.
It is important to remember that prior to 26th December, the situation has not changed and students can continue to travel and to change household. The latest Scottish Government guidance can be found here. If you are affected by the current international travel restrictions and are worried about your situation over the winter break, remember that we are here to help you, and you can contact email@example.com
Please be aware that the First Minister has announced that all of mainland Scotland will be placed into Protection Level 4 from 26th December for three weeks until 16th January 2021. This means that travel will be further restricted during this time, and there are also implications for University activity over that period.
During the original Level 4 restrictions earlier this year, the Government recognised the importance of the work of universities and the effectiveness of how we managed the challenges brought by Covid-19. Consequently, the University will remain open to deliver essential teaching and research activities through the period as announced.
Please note the following important information:
- As I have previously confirmed, Semester 2 will start with Consolidation and Development week, which will be presented online from week beginning 11th January;
- Teaching commences online from week beginning 18th January and will continue online for the following three weeks. For the very small number of programmes that have on-campus teaching scheduled for week beginning 18 January, your Department or School will update you in early January on any changes that may be required as a result of the changing Scottish Government guidance;
- The Andersonian Library will remain open; however, for safety reasons, only Library staff will be able to access the bookshelves - students and staff customers cannot go to the shelves to retrieve a book themselves;
- Unfortunately, the Level 4 Protection Level restrictions mean that Strathclyde Sport has to close from 4pm on Wednesday 23rd December until Sunday 16th January 2021 (inclusive);
- Both the Scottish and UK governments are working closely with institutions to enable students to return to term-time accommodation over January and February. However, given the developments over the weekend, this will continue to be reviewed as the situation evolves;
- Your Department or School will confirm the plans for your programme’s return to campus in the new year. Once you have this information, I strongly encourage you to book a COVID-19 test to enable you to plan your return. Please take time to book your tests to align with your planned return dates.
These are very fluid circumstances and please be assured that the University’s Executive Team and I continue to monitor the situation very carefully, and we will update you further as required.
I know many of you will have had your plans for Christmas and New Year affected by the latest public health measures, but I do hope you will still be able to enjoy the break over the festive period.
Please remember the online wellbeing support that is available to all students.
Please take care, and stay safe.
Professor Sir Jim McDonald
Principal and Vice-Chancellor