Why this course?
The Postgraduate Certificate in Knowledge Exchange (PGCKE) is a flexible, academic development degree (normally encompassing one-year or two-years' part-time study). It's ideal for university knowledge exchange professionals, academics, and researchers looking to enhance their academic and professional understanding of knowledge exchange.
The course looks at the issues facing knowledge exchange in higher education and offers a range of intellectual and practical methods to inform, explore, and structure knowledge exchange ventures. Participants are encouraged to draw from their own area or discipline, and to explore the development of knowledge exchange in these areas throughout the course, ultimately — should they choose — completing their own dissertation researching a specific knowledge exchange venture in their chosen area.
The course is aimed at two principal audiences:
- knowledge exchange professionals whose primary function is knowledge exchange and wishing to develop their professional understanding and practice
- university academics and researchers interested in exploring options and opportunities that knowledge exchange can provide them to expand their impact and generate knowledge exchange ventures that benefit themselves, their role, and the university
All modules involve a face-to-face element comprising roughly 16 hours in addition to blended learning elements and individual study. Online elements are conducted through MyPlace, the University of Strathclyde's online learning environment. Classes are highly flexible, allowing you to make choices based on your own personal interests. The fully online version of the course is in development.
All courses are delivered in our in-house teaching facilities and utilise a diverse number of technologies to enhance provision.
Individual classes make use of a selection of guest lecturers who can provide the best training on specialist topics.
To obtain a PGCert you will complete three classes in total:
- one core class
- one recommended class
- one recommended or optional class
Completion of the PGCert requires completion of the core class, Understanding and Exploring Knowledge Exchange. Students have access to a range of recommended knowledge exchange classes, namely:
- Engaging and Managing Stakeholder Relationships
- Enterprise, Commecialisation and Intellectual Property
- Management & Leadership in Higher Education
- Academic Writing
As optional classes, students can additionally take any module delivered through Strathclyde’s Programme for Academic practice, Researcher development, and Knowledge exchange (SPARK), including those from either the Teaching & Learning or Researcher Development pathways.
Learning & teaching
All classes are taught using experiential and reflective techniques to ensure learning outcomes are applicable, useful, and based in authentic activity. Classes are highly flexible, allowing you to make choices based on your own personal interests.
All classes involve a face-to-face element comprising roughly 16 hours in addition to blended learning elements and individual study. Online elements are conducted through MyPlace. The fully online version of the course is in development.
Assessment types differ from class-to-class, and seek to provide students with variation in assessment approaches that align constructively with teaching and learning aims. Essays, presentations, individual projects, and other methods are commonly utilised.
SPARK classes and programmes are designed for University of Strathclyde staff and external academics.
You’ll need an Honours degree qualification or another equivalent qualification.
Fees & funding
- staff with contracts totalling 12 months or longer - free of charge
- staff employed for less than 12 months at Strathclyde - £600 per module
- bespoke training can be designed for external clients upon request for an additional fee. Please contact SPARK@strath.ac.uk.
The fees shown are annual and may be subject to an increase each year. Find out more about fees.
All SPARK classes are designed and delivered to help you enhance your current and future practice, providing opportunities for both career and personal development.