Academic staff from the Department of Architecture undertook visits to a number of institutions abroad to develop strategic partnerships for international teaching and research activity.
- Professor Ashraf Salama and Dr David Grierson visited Inner Mongolia University of Technology (IMUT) in Hohhot and Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) in Xi'an, China. As a result of these visits the Department has finalised collaborative agreements with both institutions
- Mr David Reat visited China as part of the Faculty of Engineering delegation to consolidate existing partnerships with IMUT and NPU.
- Mr Derek Hill will be visiting IMUT to help facilitate joint workshops between architecture students from Strathclyde and Hohhot, Inner Mongolia.
- Professor Salama visited Alexandria, Egypt speaking about the History and Future of Architectural Education at Strathclyde together with the Chair of the Education Committee of the RIBA. The visit included a series of meetings with potential PhD students.
- Dr Grierson represented the Department, Faculty, and University during the British Council Education UK Schools Roadshow, visiting 15 schools in and around Hong Kong. The recruitment visit included meetings with agents and potential students.
- Dr Grierson recently visited, and given public lectures, in many institutions in India, as a member of the British Council Architecture Mission. As a result of these visits the Department has finalised collaborative agreements with Balwant Sheth School of Architecture, Mumbai & Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Architecture, Pune
- Dr Cristina Gonzalez-Longo organised a symposium at the British School in Rome to discuss the ongoing restoration of the Mackintosh’s Glasgow School of Art, partially destroyed by fire two years ago.
- The Department was represented at the Venice Biennale, Italy through our participation in the KLABS Erasmus +/EU project, ‘Creating the Network of Knowledge Labs for Sustainable and Resilient Environments’. Professor Dimitrijevic represents the Department on the project management team. Mrs Ulrike Enslein is leading a Year 5 student study visit to the Biennale.
- Professor Branka Dimitrijevic will deliver several lectures on ‘Urban Scotland: past and present’ at the Department of Architecture, Construction and Conservation at the University IUAV in Venice, Italy, Spring 2017.
- Professor Ashraf Salama visited Taylors College in Malaysia. He met with Senior Faculty Staff. As a result the Department is renewing and enhancing the collaborative agreement with Taylors College.
- Dr Andrew Agapiou visited the Philippines through the British Embassy/British Council in January 2017. He spoke about Architecture and Construction to both specialized and public audiences.
- Prof Salama and Dr Grierson visited the Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), in Doha to explore collaboration in new research partnerships.
Saudi Arabia & Kuwait
- Prof Ashraf Salama will deliver conference keynotes at Dammam University, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait University in December 2016
- Dr Grierson visited the Cosanti Foundation at Arcosanti in Arizona, USA. He met with the President and Board of Directors of the Foundation. As a result a Masters course in Architecture and Ecology has been launched