The Kilbrandon Lecture series was inaugurated in 1991, and is supported by the Scottish Government and the University of Strathclyde.
Lord Kilbrandon chaired the committee which led to the formation of the Scottish Children's Hearings system, a unique framework of care and justice designed to ensure that children's 'deeds and needs' are considered whenever formal legal proceedings related to care and justice arise.
It is over 50 years since Charles Shaw, Lord Kilbrandon, produced his Committee's report which led to the abolition of juvenile courts in Scotland and their replacement by lay panels - 'children's hearings' as they have come to be known. This was a radical change especially when considered in the context of 1960's conservative Scotland.
Lord Kilbrandon's legacy is a living one - that stretches through our unique children's hearings system to all professions and services that interact with Scotland's young people. This lecture series, considers the vast range of issues that can impact on a child's upbringing and explores how together we can make Scotland a better place to grow up.
Take a look at last year's 15th Kilbrandon lecture which was given by Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, in the Barony Hall on the 23rd of November 2017.
Previous Kilbrandon Lectures:
- Every Man , Every Woman, Every Child Should Have a Basic Income as a Right by Professor Guy Standing
- Leadership and Child Protection by Alexis Jay OBE
- [PDF, Apr 2016]
- Remembering Lord Kilbrandon
[PDF, Apr 2015]
- Tell a Different Story
[PDF, Dec 2014]
- Reflections on Care and Justice for Children in Scotland
[PDF, 764.1 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- The 20th Anniversary of the Children's Hearings System - Sandford J. Fox 1991
[PDF, 304.2 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- The Advent of the Children (Scotland) Act in 1995 - Fred Stone 1995
[PDF, 265.3 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Justice for Scotland's Children - Donald Dewar 1997
[PDF, 272.0 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- The Lost Boyhood of Judas - Anthony Clare 1999
[PDF, 332.9 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- A Special Conception of Juvenile Justice: Kilbrandon's legacy - Neil MacCormick 2001
[PDF, 94.8 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Justice for Europe's Children - Maud de Boer-Buquicchio 2003
[PDF, 133.3 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Modern Childhood: The image of the child in our society - Trond Waage 2005
[PDF, 185.7 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Children in Conflict with the Law: An International Perspective - Bjorn Cronstedt 2007
[PDF, 254.7 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Children's Hearings and the Love that Binds: Reflections on Community, Discipline and Exile - Kathleen Marshall 2009
[PDF, 251.6 kb: 28 Sep 2012]
- Healthier Lives: Better Futures - Sir Harry Burns 2011
[PDF, 8063.1 kb: 28 Sep 2012]