Research Passport


What is an NHS Research Passport?

It is a scheme that streamlines procedures associated with issuing honorary research contracts or letters of access to researchers who have no contractual arrangements with NHS organisations that host research, and who carry out research in the NHS that affects patient care, or requires access to NHS facilities.

A Research Passport may be project-specific or may be valid for a period of three years for a number of projects. ID badges will also be issued by each NHS organisation where researchers will have face-to-face contact with patients or staff.

Who needs a Research Passport?

The NHS organisation hosting the research will confirm if you require a research passport under any of the following circumstances when it is likely to be required:

If you have any queries about whether a Research Passport is needed please contact an R&D office within the NHS.

How do I get a Research Passport?

Read the guidance for completing the Research Passport by clicking the appropriate the link below.

The Principal Investigator must apply for permission to conduct the research in the NHS organisation. The Research Passport does not remove the need to apply to the NHS organisation for permission or to apply for ethical review.

Please use the following link to download the Research Passport form in word format: 

For more information on the NHS Research Passport and guidance on how to complete the form please use the link below to National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) web site.

Please use the following link to download the (if this is required)




Data Protection

The University of Strathclyde will:

1. Respect your privacy and confidentiality;
2. Only collect and process your personal details in the manner and for the purposes set out in the associated documentation:
3. Keep your personal data secure from unauthorised access, use or disclosure; and
4. Not share with or provide your personal information to any third party other than the NHS expect insofar as legally obliged to do so or except as set out in the associated documentation;
5. Only use your personal information in accordance with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998.

This statement is in addition to the University of Strathclyde Data Protection Statement for Students and staff which can be found at: and you should read the relevant documents carefully.

This notice should also be read in conjunction with the relevant web page on the NHS passport, the application procedure documents and the NHS passport application form.

By completing the NHS passport application form, you consent to your personal information being processed by the University of Strathclyde and relevant NHS organisations for the purpose of managing the NHS passport scheme.

Your personal data will not be used for any other purpose and will only be accessible to relevant staff on a ‘need to know basis’. Your personal data will not be transferred to any third parties by either the University or the NHS, except those detailed in the main University of Strathclyde Data Protection Statement for students/staff referred to as above or with your consent. Both the University and the NHS will take appropriate security measures against loss, unlawful alteration, destruction or access to your personal data.

The Registry at the University of Strathclyde will keep a log detailing the progress of each student through the application process for an NHS passport and will keep this data on file once a passport is granted for an appropriate period. For staff this process will be managed by the Human Resources Department.  Both departments will retain electronic or hard copies of documents as part of the process.

The University of Strathclyde is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office who implements the Data Protection Act 1998. All personal data on students/staff will be processed in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998.

Accessing your Personal Data

Under the Data Protection Act (1998), individuals (“data subjects”) have a right to know what data is held about them by the University and to access their personal data. In order to exercise this right an individual must submit a “Subject Access Request” (SAR).

Information about how to ask for your personal data can be found at:


secondary navigation

skip to main content