**Strathcloud was decommissioned on 31 August 2023.
Alternative data storage services:
For a quick and easy guide to choosing between the above systems, please use our File Storage Selector tool.
The Strathcloud service for accessing your H: and i: drives when off-campus is no longer available. Please see the Connect remotely to your H: or i: network drive page to view alternative services.
-- Please ignore all text below.
If you wish to retain data currently stored on Strathcloud, you must migrate the data to an alternative storage service by 31/08/2022. Data remaining on Strathcloud after this date will be deleted automatically.
Note: the Strathcloud service for accessing your H: and i: drives when off-campus, will be retained after 31/08/2023.
For more information on how to migrate, visit the M365 Training and Support page.
You can access your Network Drives (H: and i: drive) through the University's cloud-based storage service, Strathcloud.
Once you log in to Strathcloud you can, in accordance with whatever permissions you normally have, use Strathcloud Network Shares to:
- upload files to your H: and i: drives
- download files from H: and i: drives
- delete files from H: and i: drives
- create folders from H: and i: drives
- delete folders from H: and i: drives
Option 1: Getting connected, using Chrome, Firefox or Safari on Windows, Mac or Linux
We recommend that you use Chrome, Firefox or Safari to access Network Shares.
- Log on to the Strathcloud web interface
- Choose 'Folders'
- In the expanded list, choose 'Network Shares'
You will now see links for 'H Drive' and 'i Drive'.
- Click on whichever link you want
- You will now be prompted for a username and password. For the username, enter your DS username with 'ds' in front of it (e.g. “ds\tst01987”). If you miss out the “ds\”, it will not work.
- Enter your DS password and log in.
We do not recommend using Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge for use with Network Shares.
It's easier to use a different browser. However, you can access Network Shares using Internet Explorer or Edge as long as you carry out the following steps:
- Launch your browser and open 'Internet Options'
- Go to the 'Security' tab
- Choose 'Trusted Sites' to highlight it
- Choose the 'Sites' button
- Add 'https://strathcloud.sharefile.eu' to the list of trusted sites, then choose 'Close'
- With 'Trusted Sites' still highlighted, select the 'Custom Level' button
- Scroll down to the 'Miscellaneous' section, and in there, set 'Access data sources across domains' to 'Enabled'.
- OK the changes, then close and restart Internet Explorer.
You only have to follow these steps once on each computer you use to access Network Shares.
Now, follow the steps under "option 1" to connect to your H: or i: drive.
- Install the Citrix Sharefile app on your device. The app is available from Google Play and the App Store.
- Follow our setup guide (PDF): Strathcloud - Set up Strathcloud on mobile device (pdf).
- Log into the Sharefile app using the company credentials option.
- Once you're set up and logged in, select the menu icon (three horizontal lines).
- From the list, select 'Network Shares'.
- You will now see links for 'H Drive' and 'i Drive'. Click whichever link you want.
- You will now be prompted for a username and password. For the username, enter your DS username <strong>with 'ds' in front of it</strong> (e.g. “ds\tst01987”). If you miss out the “ds\”, it will not work.
- Enter your DS password and login.
Once you’ve connected:
- You will see the folders and files in the root level of your H: drive or i: drive
- You will be able to download files and upload files, with the same permissions as you would normally have on the Network Drives.
- You can create and delete folders.
- You can delete files.
Using Network Shares does not give you all of the functionality of a network drive. For example, you cannot directly rename files, or copy files, or move them between folders. If you want to change or move a file you must:
- download it
- edit it
- save it somewhere on your local device
- upload it again.
Network Shares also do not give you the full functionality you would have with files stored natively in Strathcloud. For example, you cannot:
- check files in or out from your H: or i: drives
- share them, or
- edit the permissions on folders
Because of this, we would not suggest that you use Strathcloud Network Shares as your normal way of working with your network drives. This feature is handy for users who work between Strathcloud and Network Drives, or who work both on and off campus.
For some users, a good way of working is to store a small amount of your most active/recent data in Strathcloud, while storing older and larger data in H: and i: drives (Network Drives). The Strathcloud Network Shares feature gives you a convenient way to access files stored in both systems, both on and off campus, through a single interface.
You may also want to consider other storage options.