CLA Royalties Data Collection

CLA Collection of Royalties Data

Our Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) Higher Education Licence lets you photocopy, scan and share extracts from digital and print books, magazines and some websites.

The CLA is currently collecting data in order to help them reward the creators whose work you have used.

Between Monday 8 February and Friday 19 March 2021 (inclusive), we are asking all staff to log all photocopying completed for teaching purposes on the CLA web logging system for higher education.

Students are not required to take part.

Log your photocopying data


Go to the CLA web logging system (live from 8 February 2021)


You can record your data on the CLA website in just 3 steps. You don't need to log in or set up an account. The survey link is exclusive to the University of Strathclyde, but individual entries are anonymous.


Open the CLA web logging page in your browser by selecting the link at the top of this page.

Select the resource (book, magazine or journal) you have been copying from.


Enter the required information about your resource: Serial number, Title, Publisher, and the number of copies distributed.


Enter the number or range of pages used and submit the data.

Further information

The CLA will collect royalties data in the spring of 2021. Collection will be conducted remotely using two data capture methods.

CLA appreciates that university staff may be working from home and spending limited time on campus but remain hopeful that some data may be collected this term.

Participating areas

This is a staff only exercise - students are not included, with the exception of post-graduates who are involved with teaching, group research projects, etc.

The CLA expects to collect data from:

  • Academic departments
  • Reprographcs departments
  • Libraries (only when copying is generated by staff or visiting academics)

Administrative departments, such as HR and Finance, are generally excluded.

Questions and answers from CLA

  • Why does CLA need this information?
    Most of the revenue we get from our licence holders is redistributed as royalty payments.  Only by collecting data can we ascertain whose work is being copied and how much the rights’ holders should be paid.  Academic staff often publish material so, potentially, you could be helping higher education colleagues as well as creators outside the sector. 

  • What if a publication doesn’t have an ISBN/ISSN?
    Secondary identifiers such as title and publisher are helpful so the more detail you can give us the better e.g. if copying from another photocopy.  It’s probably best to email this material to us as we have several tools which can help to identify a publication.

  • Are there any cost implications for my department?
    There are no penalties for high volume copying of copyright material as size of classes and study groups may vary considerably. It is important to be aware of what the licence allows you to copy so further details can be found at

  • I seldom photocopy published material - do I really need to take part?
    During the remote exercise even if you copy something just once you still need to let us know.  A one-off copying event may seem inconsequential but when aggregated with data from other institutions, its value can become very significant.

  • All my print copies come from digital material – do I need to include it?
    For 'born digital' content, once a paper printout has been made under the CLA licence, it is subject to the same terms and conditions as a photocopy and should be recorded as part of the data collection.  Please see HE Licence User Guidelines [PDF] for details.

  • Why do you include open access and crown copyright content?
    Whilst usually beyond the scope of your CLA licence, there are occasions when we can make a royalties payment for these types of content, particularly when they appear alongside other published material such as in a journal.  Rather than ask colleagues to check qualifying criteria it may be easier to include all relevant material and anything which is not payable will simply be filtered out when the data is processed. 

  • Are exam papers which include copyright extracts collected?
    Copying of papers for examination use are excluded.  However, if any other use is involved, for example using a paper after the examination in a lecture or course pack, it will need to be included in the collection. Further information including title search & excluded works, can be found at