OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business is cloud-based file storage available to our students and staff through Microsoft Office365. This cloud-based storage allows users to:
- Store up to 1TB of content online.
- Upload files up to 250GB in size.
- Sync files to their local device.
- Use anywhere, on or off campus.
- Use on multiple devices, including phones and tablets.
- Create new or edit existing documents using Microsoft's Office applications online.
- Integrate seamlessly with other Office 365 applications.
- Share files with other University of Strathclyde staff and students.
- Share files with external users, e.g. research collaborators.
- See at-a-glance everything you've shared with people ("Shared By Me").
- See at-a-glance everything that's been shared with you ("Shared With Me").
- Restore previous versions of files, or accidentally-deleted files.
- Have files automatically scanned by Microsoft for viruses and other threats.
When to use OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business is the University's recommended system, for both staff and students, for storing your own individual files. (This means, files which you are not planning to share with other people).
You can also easily share files with others. However, be aware that if you leave the University, the data you have shared will be deleted, when your account is deleted. This means that OneDrive for Business isn't always the best option for important or long-term shared data : in this instance, please talk to your local IT support about other options available.
If you need very high performance or capacity (e.g. researchers storing large datasets), Network Drives (H: and i:) may be a better option.
The University recommends OneDrive for Business over Strathcloud. Users of Strathcloud should begin transitioning to OneDrive for Business.
Accessing OneDrive for Business
To access OneDrive for Business in Office365:
- Go to https://strath-my.sharepoint.com/
- Login as you would to your email.
Using OneDrive for Business
See the Managing OneDrive for Business webpage for more information.
How to request more space on OneDrive for Business
By default, students and staff all have 1TB of storage space. If you have already stored over 500GB, then you can contact us, to ask for an increase to 5TB. This request will then be processed and granted by our IT staff.
If you have already stored 4.5TB, then you can contact us to ask for a further increase. In this instance, we will log the request with Microsoft, as University IT staff cannot make increases beyond 5TB.
How OneDrive for Business differs from OneDrive
OneDrive for Business is not the same as the commercial OneDrive service you get with either a Microsoft account or Outlook.com. OneDrive for Business provides online storage intended for University of Strathclyde data.
Note: In the header or elsewhere on the University’s Office365 site, ‘OneDrive’ sometimes appears as an abbreviation of OneDrive for Business, to keep things simpler.
OneDrive for Business is part of Office 365. Office365 is a cloud-based service provided through a partnership between the University and Microsoft.