Sharing folders with students and external users
Strathclyde staff and postgradaute research students are listed in Strathcloud's shared address book. However, external collaborators, undergraduates and postgraduate taught students are not included in the shared address book, and you must take extra steps if you want to share folders with them.
Before following the instructions below, please note that for long-term sharing, we recommend that you put your data in a hosting account first, and then share it from there. Please talk to your local IT support about this.
If you want to share a folder with an external collaborator or an undergraduate student:
- Login to the Strathcloud web interface
- Navigate to the folder you want to share, and click onto the folder
- In the right-hand pane, click on the "People on this Folder" tab
- Click on the "Add People to Folder" button
- Click the "Create New User" button
- Type the user's email address
- Click or tab into the First Name textbox underneath
- The system should now fill in the user's first name and last name. If these boxes do not get filled in after a few seconds, it means that the user does not have an account on Strathcloud. Remember that, for external users, we recommend you request a limited access account for them first.
- Configure the relevant permissions and other options that you want, then click "Add" to add the user.
- Finally, you may notice that there is a bug in Strathcloud, where the user's company/department field doesn't get automatically filled-in straight away. Don't worry about this. Once you're finished adding them to the folder, if you then click onto another folder, then back onto the folder you shared, then you will see that this field has been filled in.
If your external collaborator does not yet have a DS account, then contact your departmental/Faculty IT about getting a limited access account created.
The external collaborator will automatically get an account on Strathcloud once their account has been created.