Welcome back to the Library
The Andersonian Library is currently open to:
- Strathclyde staff
- Strathclyde students
- People with a pre-arranged appointment to visit the Archives & Special Collections reading room.
We are pleased to welcome you back, but some things have changed since your last visit.
Please read the details on this webpage to help you prepare for your next visit to the University Library.
Important rule changes
In line with Scottish Government and University guidance enhanced safety measures are in place.
- Do not enter the Library building if you’re showing any symptoms of COVID-19.
- You must wear a face covering at all times once inside the Library building, except where an exemption applies (as defined in the legislation).
- For the time being there will be no food allowed in any part of the Library. Drinks are still permitted, in containers with lids.
- We may be required to release Library entry and exit data in support of NHS Scotland's Test & Protect service.
- We are opening the Library to support solo working. For the time being there are no group study facilities. Please continue to use collaboration tools (such as Zoom) for group work.
Library services in Level 0 COVID restrictions
The Glasgow Council area is now in Covid Level 0 restrictions. We are open on evenings and weekends.
In the Library you can:
- Study alone.
- Use computers and printers.
- Browse shelves and borrow books.
- Book study rooms (solo use only).
- Use water dispensers to fill your own bottle.
- For now, there can be no group study or socialising.
- Food is not permitted anywhere in the Library.
- Drinks are permitted, in containers with lids.
- Wear a face covering.
- Wash/sanitise your hands frequently.
- Keep your distance from others.
- Pay attention to signs.
- Listen to instructions from staff.
We have taken these steps to protect staff and students and may introduce additional safety measures or restrictions informed by an assessment of the increased risks associated with the new variants of the virus.
- Social distancing rules mean we have had to reduce the number of study spaces available in the Library.
- You may have to queue. Remember to dress appropriately for the weather.
- Have your student card, staff Library card, DS login details or Strathclyde app ready to scan in and out of the Library.
- To help maintain safe distances between students, we have removed some furniture and IT equipment. Do not rearrange any furniture or equipment.
- Wash your hands or use sanitiser regularly during your visit.
- We've installed bottles of hand sanitiser throughout the Library.
- Soap dispensers in all toilets are being refilled regularly.
If you’re visiting Archives & Special Collections, wash your hands with soap and water or use the special hand sanitiser gel provided. Our staff here will advise you.
Our Welcome and Enquiries desks have been fitted with Perspex screens, and you may see our staff wearing face coverings and gloves, especially when handling stock and equipment.
Quarantine of materials
From Monday 26 July onwards, we will no longer be putting books in quarantine after they have been returned to us or used within the Library.
Please continue to wash and/or sanitise your hands regularly when in the Library and while using materials.
Food and drink
To reduce the risk of transmission and to allow our cleaning teams to focus on communal spaces, for the time being there will be no food allowed in any part of the Library.
- Our vending machines are currently switched off.
- Drinks are still permitted, in containers with lids.
- Desks, computers and printers are available for you to use and we have provided sanitising wipes for these.
- Some group rooms are still available to book for one person only.
- Our ventilation system is pumping more outside air in to the Library, so you may wish to bring additional warm layers with you!
Though some rooms are available to book, a room booking is not a guarantee of entry to the Library. Please arrive at the Library in good time for your booking, in case you have to queue.
Click & Collect and Freepost returns
Click & Collect and Freepost return services are available for those who are unable to visit the Library. You can nominate someone to collect books on your behalf if you don't yet feel ready to return to campus. Contact us to learn more about this.
Keep checking our webpages and Twitter account for the latest updates.
We’re looking forward to seeing you in the Library again soon.