Information for student parents
At Strathclyde, we understand that being a student parent has many challenges, particularly in the wake of Covid-19 where students are adapting to online study from home whilst taking care of children, and for those with children of school age - supporting their learning from home.
We want to highlight some support available to help you through this challenging time, and to ease some of the difficulties you may be facing as you juggle your studies with your children's needs. To enable us to keep you informed of any relevant communications regarding support, we would ask that student parents join our mailing list by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Student parents should contact their adviser of studies to discuss their progress should they encounter any challenges.
- If you are experiencing particular challenges, please upload any evidence of personal circumstances to the 'personal circumstances' tab on Pegasus, which can be taken into consideration by your department should you ever submit an appeal or require an extension, for example, if school or nursery closures have affected your studies.
- The University administers a Childcare fund for student parents who are funded by SAAS (please see link for further information and eligibility criteria).
- The University also has a number of hardship funds available to help with essential study and living costs. You can find out more on the University’s Scholarships pages.
- We have a digital inclusion programme for Home and RUK students, where you can apply for a laptop loan for the duration of your studies. We understand that children may require the use of devices in the household creating digital challenges for student parents to study remotely. If you do not have sufficient equipment in your home for your children’s home learning and your studies, you may be eligible for the loan of a laptop.
- We have created a new MyPlace page for staff and student parents with videos and advice on how to support your child's learning from home, which will be updated regularly.
- The Student Union have also created a support page for student parents which includes resources for learning at home, projects to support student parents, and a survey which asks for your feedback on what type of support you would like the Union and/or University to provide. Everyone who responds to the survey will be automatically entered into a prize draw to win a £50 Amazon voucher.
- Student Experience & Enhancement Services
- Print Services
- Estates Services
- Finance Directorate
- Human Resources Directorate
- Research & Knowledge Exchange Services
- Widening Access
- Widening Access at Strathclyde
- Getting Ready
- Getting In
- Staying In
- Getting On
- Information for Teachers and Advisers