Our research areas include:
- Low carbon & emission shipping
- Energy efficiency
- Life-cycle analysis
- Advanced marine design
- Marine noise & vibration
- Marine fouling
- Alternative fuels
- Fuel cells
- Operations & maintenance modelling
- Ship recycling
In a volatile industry where margins are tight, our experienced researchers understand the importance of delivering high impact and innovative outputs which are both useful and relevant.
The Kelvin Hydrodynamics Laboratory (KHL) is the 2nd largest towing tank in the UK and has a wide range of capabilities in relation to model testing.
Find out more about the Kelvin Hydrodynamics Laboratory capabilities.
We have a thriving research community of world leading experts and developing research students whose capabilities span our four research themes.
Example research projects:
- Prof Sandy Day is addressing low carbon shipping in the EPSRC funded Shipping in Changing Climates project
- Prof Peilin Zhou is working on fuel-cell technologies for ships
- Dr Gerasimos Theotokatos is looking at making machinery and systems on board vessels more efficient
- Dr Iraklis Lazakis works on developing models on operations and maintenance of ships