How work is organised and what kind of skills are required by employers has been a long-term focus of our research.
Analysis of new demands such as the need for soft skills (eg emotions, aesthetics) in the service sector has been an important contribution to debates.
Job quality is a key indicator of a successful, sustainable economy. This is a central concern of research projects undertaken by the department’s research unit - The Scottish Centre for Employment Research, particularly its current work on employee-led innovation.
Current research projects include the following themes:
- Skill ecosystems and occupational change, including middle skills jobs
- Skill utilisation, conversion and mismatch
- Human resource development & training, recruitment & selection
- Employability, under-employment
- Education, work, career transitions