Statistics & Mathematics Advice, Research & Training (SMART)
SMART provides internal researchers and external organisations with the opportunity to access our expertise in mathematics and statistics. Whether you need a single piece of advice or guidance, or a more involved long-term collaboration, our experienced team will be able to help.
We work with individuals, small companies and international organisations providing advice and research expertise to problems that require statistical and mathematical understanding. From relatively simple problems which may be solved in a single meeting to full scale research collaborations, we'dve helped a wide array of academic, industrial and public sector groups over the last 25 years.
Examples of projects we've worked on include:
- Two day consultancy concerning operational efficiency of resource use - statistical techniques used
- Ongoing mathematical modelling project concerning the optimisation of a bioreactor
- Half day consultancy regarding regression analysis of sales data
- Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences: design of trials for statistical analysis
- Research services: advice on statistical correlation calculations
- Faculty of Engineering: assistance with analysis of experimental data
In addition to our consultancy services, we offer a number of short courses. These cover a range of topics and abilities, from essential statistics for those new to the subject through to more advanced modelling techniques suitable for experienced professionals.
All our training courses can be tailored to meet the needs of your organisation. So if you're an organisation with employees who require training in a specific subject, speak to us about commissioning a bespoke course, or programme of courses.
Example training courses include:
- Four day mathematical and statistical modelling for environmental scientists
- One day training course in medical statistics
- Four day course on network analysis
- Two hour session on quantifying risk for engineers
- Half day introduction to computer algebra
- Four day course on Bayesian methods