My research and teaching interests include social and environmental accounting and accounting for risk. At a theoretical level I have a special interest in exploring the notion of multiple capitals and theories of value, in particular through interdisciplinary research. I apply my research to empirical investigations of social welfare, protection of human rights and engagement on environmental risk and 'materiality' thresholds for climate adaptation. I have over fifteeen years experience of working with the financial services sector on perceptions of social and environmental risks and valuations. My research and knowledge exchange activities are a direct input into my teaching and are reflected in my classes on Accounting for Risk, Accounting and Sustainability and Research Methodologies.
- Scottish SDG Reporting Working Group Meeting - People and Prosperity,
- SEPA & UNEP FI Scottish Low Carbon Energy Investment Roundtable Two
- Creating a prosperous, vibrant, Glasgow City Region in the face of climate change.
- Living Wage Celebration 2018
- SEPA/ICAS (External organisation)
- Babson College Symposium for Entrepreneurship Educators
More professional activities
- Business case for paying a Living Wage: case evidence of Place-based approaches
- Coulson, Andrea (Principal Investigator) Butcher, Deborah (Researcher)
- The aim of the research is to provide place-based evidence of the business case for paying a Real Living Wage in Scotland.
Centres on case studies of Living Wage Places and explores how stakeholders account for their shared values and put into practice Living Wage principles
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2020
- SEPA & UNEP FI Scottish Low Carbon Energy Investment, Chair Impact Hub Working Group
- Coulson, Andrea (Principal Investigator)
- Chairing multi-stakeholder group on impact based business cases for low carbon energy investment for SEPA and UNEP FI
- 07-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Living Wage Employers: evidence of UK business cases
- Coulson, Andrea (Principal Investigator) Bonner, James (Researcher)
- 6 case studies of the business case for being a UK Living Wage Employer as accredited by the Living Wage Foundation
- 01-Jan-2014 - 07-Jan-2014
- Risk Communication and Twitter: A Comparison of International Risk Regulatory Frameworks
- Burns, Calvin (Academic) Quigley, John (Academic) Coulson, Andrea (Academic)
- £61 325 PhD funding (Tranche 2 University scholarship) which we won for Emma Comrie.
- 01-Jan-2011 - 31-Jan-2015
- International Risk Research Partnership
- Burns, Calvin (Academic) Quigley, John (Academic) Coulson, Andrea (Academic) Ramsay, Howard (Academic) Quigley, Kevin (Academic) Pelot, Ron (Academic)
- $250 000 (Cdn) from SSHRC (Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada) to develop an international risk research partnership including the delivery of online (Second Life) workshops. Industry partners include KPMG, Scottish Power, and Shell amongst others.
- 01-Jan-2011 - 30-Jan-2014
- Platforms for Online Seminars for Risk Researchers
- Burns, Calvin (Academic) Quigley, John (Academic) Coulson, Andrea (Academic) Ramsay, Howard (Academic) Crowe, Derek (Academic)
- £10 379 from the "Roberts Fund" for provision and evaluation of online seminar, tutorial and support platforms for the doctoral and post-doctoral community.
- 01-Jan-2008 - 30-Jan-2009
Accounting and Finance
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map