My research interests are in the economics of devolved finances, and labour markets and inequality.
I have led the Fraser of Allander Institute's work on Fiscal Policy since 2016. I coordinate FAI's annual report on the Scottish budget, and provide regular analysis of the Scottish budget. I was adviser to the Scottish Parliament’s Finance and Constitution Committee between 2016-2021.
I am currently leading ESRC-funded research into the devolved government's funding frameworks during the Covid-19 pandemic, and supporting the Fiscal Commission Northern Ireland in its deliberations over options for tax devolution to Northern Ireland.
I have published extensively on trends in income inequality and social mobility in Scotland. Between 2017 and 2019 I was a Commissioner on the Scottish Government's Poverty and Inequality Commission. I coordinate a course called 'the economics of inequality' on Strathclyde's Applied Economics MSc.
- Evidence to the Scottish Parliament Finance Committee on Scotland's Fiscal Framework
- Presentation to Employment Support Scotland
- Evidence to the Scottish Parliament Finance Committee on Scottish Budget 2022/23
- Scottish budget: No big surprises . . . and a little underwhelming
- Alumni Webinar with Debbie Crosbie, CEO TSB
- The economics of Scottish independence
More professional activities
- Understanding the impact of Covid-19 on income: labour market changes and policy solutions
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Eiser, David (Co-investigator)
- 10-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2022
- Trends in Socio-Economic Determinants of Health Inequalities in Scotland
- Eiser, David (Principal Investigator) Congreve, Emma (Co-investigator) Smith, Kat (Co-investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator) Stewart, Ellen (Co-investigator)
- 10-Jan-2022 - 30-Jan-2022
- Fraser of Allander Election 2021 Briefing
- Congreve, Emma (Principal Investigator) Mitchell, Mark (Co-investigator) McIntyre, Stuart (Co-investigator) Eiser, David (Co-investigator) Spowage, Mairi (Co-investigator) Watts, Robert (Co-investigator) McGeoch, Adam (Researcher) Cooper, Benjamin (Researcher) Black, James (Researcher) Brocek, Frantisek (Researcher)
- 24-Jan-2021 - 04-Jan-2021
- COVID and the UK nations' fiscal frameworks: impacts, performance and lessons
- Eiser, David (Principal Investigator)
- 22-Jan-2021 - 21-Jan-2022
- To examine changing patterns of working hours to better understand what drives changes, how do they affect poverty/inequality, and how policy could respond
- Eiser, David (Principal Investigator) Roy, Graeme (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2020 - 31-Jan-2020
- Modelling the Economic Impact of a Citizen’s Basic Income in Scotland
- Connolly, Kevin (Researcher) Eiser, David (Researcher) McGregor, Peter (Academic) Roy, Graeme (Principal Investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 01-Jan-2020