I am a Professor in the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship at the University of Strathclyde, where I serve as Director of Teaching and Knowledge Exchange. I have held research and teaching posts at London Business School (UK), Babson College (US), INSEAD (France), and University College, Cork (Ireland).
I was associate coordinator of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) in its founding year and have served as an elected member of the board of the Global Entrepreneurship Research Association (GERA). I am currently a member of GERA’s Research and Innovation Committee and recently I project managed a major grant from the EC DG Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion for the Global Entrepreneurship Research Association. I also co-direct GEM in the UK with Professor Mark Hart of Aston Business School. I am the Theme Leader on Research Theme 1 (Ambition and Growth) at the UK’s Enterprise Research Centre.
I am currently a member of an EC DG Employment expert panel on entrepreneurship and social exclusion and recently served on an EC DG Education and Culture expert panel on data and indicators on entrepreneurial learning. I am the Scottish universities representative on Scotland’s MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program (REAP) core team, which aims to engage stakeholders nation-wide in a collective impact approach to enhancing the innovation-based entrepreneurship ecosystem in Scotland.
With Sharon Ballard, a US-based entrepreneur, I developed “Supercoach Entrepreneurial Training”: a set of coaching tools and techniques for coaching first-time entrepreneurs, and I have coached entrepreneurs in a wide range of sectors from agri-tourism to high technology in the US, Europe, and the Middle and Far East.
My most recent articles have appeared in Journal of Management Studies, Research Policy, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, Small Business Economics, and Family Business Review, among others.
I have been teaching entrepreneurship for over 30 years, at all levels from first year undergraduate to executive education. Currently I teach a third year business enterprise class on Entrepreneurial Capital, and lead a number of Vertically Intergrated Projects (VIPs) in which third year business students act as commercialisation consultants to research VIPS across the university or develop new activities to enhance the University's entrepreneurial ecosystem. I also teach a core class in the Strathclyde MBA called Entrepreneurial Management and Leadership, and an off-site residential course for early career researchers called Knowledge and Innovation Training (KIT). I also contribute to our Growth Advantage Programme for growth-oriented CEOs of SMEs, and from time to time I run workshops for early-stage entrepreneurs and their advisors both for university students and staff and for external bodies.
My current research projects include ambition and business growth, entrepreneurial ecosystems, the impact of early sales on future performance of new businesses, and technology commercialisation.
- Scotland's Economy 2017: Economic Issues facing Scotland
- 2017 EFMD Entrepreneurship Education Conference
- Keynote/plenary speaker
- Universidad de Dessarollo
- Visiting researcher
- GEM Bulgaria Conference 2016
- Invited speaker
- Expert Panel on Regional Productivity (Event)
- Why Brexit Could Hurt British Entrepreneurship
more professional activities
- Ethnic Minority Enterprise in Scotland
- Mwaura, Samuel (Principal Investigator) Carter, Sara (Co-investigator) Levie, Jonathan (Co-investigator) Stoyanov, Stoyan (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Jul-2017 - 30-Jun-2018
- Ambition and Growth
- Levie, Jonathan (Principal Investigator)
- Period 01-Sep-2014 - 31-Dec-2015
- Scottish ESRC Doctoral Training Centre DTG 2011 | Croall, Ross
- MacKenzie, Niall (Principal Investigator) Levie, Jonathan (Co-investigator) Croall, Ross (Research Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2014 - 01-Jan-2018
- Scottish ESRC Doctoral Training Centre DTG 2011 | Kuhl, Aniela
- Carter, Sara (Principal Investigator) Levie, Jonathan (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Oct-2013 - 01-May-2018
- DIASPORA Link (H2020 MCSA RISE)
- Levie, Jonathan (Principal Investigator) Stoyanov, Stoyan (Co-investigator)
- Period 01-Jan-2015 - 31-Dec-2018
- Institute for Family Business: Family Business Branding
- MacKenzie, Niall (Academic) Levie, Jonathan (Academic) Gannon, Martin Joseph (Post Grad Student)
- Period 16-Mar-2014 - 31-Oct-2014
Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map