Dr. Elke Loeffler (Diplomvolkswirtin, M.A. Political Science, M.A. Economics, Ph.D) has delivered research, executive training and teaching on public management and governance issues in over 30 countries and has worked with many governments, public service organisations and international organisations.
She has published 25 articles in peer-reviewed international journals, 6 books, 50 book chapters as well as numerous policy reports. She is the co-editor of the textbook Public Management and Governance (Routledge), now in its third edition. Her published work has over 7500 citations on Google Scholar.
Before joining academia, she worked at the OECD as a policy analyst and was CEO of the non-profit organisation Governance International.
She serves on the Editorial Board of the journals: International Review of Administrative Sciences, Public Money and Management, der moderne staat and the International Public Management Review.
She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and Co-Chair of the EGPA (European Group of Public Administration) Study Group on Citizen Participation. In 2022 Elke was appointed as Visiting Professor at the University of Tor Vergata in Rome.
Dr. Elke Loeffler teaches public management and governance at the undergraduate and postgraduate level and has extensive experience in executive training in the UK and internationally. She is co-editor of the textbook Public Management and Governance (now in its third edition).
At Strathclyde University she also contributes to undergraduate modules such as BA (Year 4 Honours UG) (Human Resource Management).
My main research interests focus on user and community co-production of public services and outcomes, citizen participation, public management and public governance issues such as outcome-based commissioning, HR, performance and quality management. I’m also very interested in public leadership and the use of digital technologies in the context of social innovation.
I have led international and national research projects commissioned by the OECD, the EU Presidency, the Bertelsmann Foundation and many public agencies in the UK.
My research has been published in international peer-reviewed journals such as International Public Management Journal, Public Management Review, the International Review of Administrative Sciences and Public Money and Management. I have presented my research in many international conferences, where I have also delivered keynote addresses. I am a member of the editorial boards of the International Review of Administrative Sciences and Public Money and Management and I also act as an advisory board member in many public agencies in the UK and internationally.
- Developing quality standards for service delivery: Assessment Report for the Republic of Serbia
- Invited speaker
- EGPA Citizen Participation Clinic
- SBS KTP Clinics
- EGPA Citizen Participation Clinic
- Co-production and networks for disadvantaged groups: lessons from international case studies
- Public service standards: Good practice in the Netherlands
More professional activities
- NPI Dignity & Respect
- Lindsay, Colin (Principal Investigator) Findlay, Patricia (Co-investigator) Loeffler, Elke (Co-investigator) STEWART, Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 27-Jan-2020
- The PROPEL Hub - Productivity Outcomes of workplace Practice, Engagement and Learning
- Roy, Graeme (Principal Investigator) Findlay, Patricia (Co-investigator) Lindsay, Colin (Co-investigator) Loeffler, Elke (Co-investigator) Shaw, Eleanor (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2019 - 31-Jan-2023
Work, Employment and Organisation
University of Strathclyde
in a larger map