Christopher is a Research Fellow in the Advanced Space Concepts Laboratory, and has been with the department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering since 2011. His research is focused on the design and exploitation of distributed space networks, such as constellations and federated satellite systems. Particular areas of interest are the routing of data through delay- and disruption-tolerant networks, and efficient utilisation of available resources within distributed systems.
Christopher is also involved in a number of industrial collaborations, including development of the NANOBED Missions Laboratory with Clyde Space Ltd.
Prior to joining the University of Strathclyde, Christopher obtained his Undergraduate Degree in Aeronautics and Astronautics in 2007, and Masters Degree in Space Systems Engineering in 2008, from the University of Southampton. In November 2008, Christopher joined Magna Parva Ltd, where he worked as a Design Engineer on a number of European Space Agency missions, including ExoMars and BepiColombo.
- Using Networks for Constellation Responsiveness, Resilience, and Data Routing
More professional activities
- Comms QT Hub Partnership Resource III
- Oi, Daniel (Principal Investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator) Lowe, Christopher (Research Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2018 - 30-Jan-2019
- CMSIN-II (CEOI Resubmission) Compact Multi-Spectral Imager for Nanosatellites II
- Oi, Daniel (Principal Investigator) Griffin, Paul (Co-investigator) Jeffers, John (Co-investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator) Marshall, Stephen (Co-investigator) Murray, Paul (Co-investigator) Lowe, Christopher (Research Co-investigator)
- 23-Jan-2018 - 31-Jan-2020
- Augmentation of Future QKD Networks with CubeSat Systems
- Lowe, Christopher (Principal Investigator) Macdonald, Malcolm (Co-investigator) Oi, Daniel (Co-investigator)
- The pace of space-based Quantum Key Distribution is now accelerating, with a number of proof-of-concept missions deployed or planned. Within the UK, the QUARC (QUAntum Research CubeSat) team has been progressing key enabling quantum technologies targeting minaturised satellite platforms. While it is known that CubeSats offer a cost effective and potentially disruptive demonstration opportunity, the extent to which these small satellites can augment emerging QKD ground and space based capability is yet to be addressed. This requires aligning the operational concept for CubeSat based QKD missions to the business needs of telecom providers and infrastructure. The work will bring together the mission and system design and enabling technologies with the context and timelines for deploying into these larger telecom driven system-of-systems. It will identify the feasibility of specific niches for exploitation by CubeSats as QKD matures based on these use cases, and work both with investors and segment suppliers to deliver an attractive and costed package providing a feasible route to market. In addressing an application market, the service level agreements and resultant CubeSat mission assurance necessary will be critical with buy-in from all stakeholders and tested with end users. The work will further inform technology development activities ensuring that effective technology or service raising opportunities can be taken. The innovation focus for this feasibility study is establishing the scope for CubeSats to augment the emergence and delivery of wider QKD networks, providing business context for enabling technology development, and generating a realistic baseline of the mission assurance necessary to satisfy end users and investors.
- 01-Jan-2018 - 28-Jan-2019
- Macdonald, Malcolm (Principal Investigator) Lowe, Christopher (Co-investigator) Owens, Steven Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2020
- ESA IAP - Mountain bike trail application
- Lowe, Christopher (Principal Investigator) Owens, Steven Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 01-Jan-2017
- National Space Technology & Applications Horizon Scanning Activity
- Macdonald, Malcolm (Principal Investigator) Clark, Ruaridh (Co-investigator) Khan, Hina (Co-investigator) Lowe, Christopher (Co-investigator) Owens, Steven Robert (Co-investigator)
- 01-Jan-2017 - 31-Jan-2019
Electronic and Electrical Engineering
View University of Strathclyde in a larger map