I am a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education. I am the Course Leader of the MEd in Inclusive Education. I am Vice Chair of the Inclusion Group of STEC (Scottish Teacher Education Committee) responsible for developing the National Framework for Inclusion which was commissioned by Scottish Government. Prior to moving to the University of Strathclyde in 2007 I worked as a teacher in mainstream and special primary and secondary schools and I was Depute Headteacher of a school for children with learning difficulties. Before requalifying as a primary teacher I was a professional double bass player and worked for many national companies and arts organisations. This included an involvement in music education.
My research is within the Faculty theme of Equity, Diversity and Social Justice and the related theme of the Development of Professional Practice. This research is focused on inclusive education and inclusive pedagogy. In particular I am concerned with policy and practice issues relating to pupils with learning difficulties. I am interested in pedagogies informed by constructivist theory and how teachers’ pedagogical knowledge might support inclusive practice. My recent research in this area has involved:
- developing relationships, nurture and attachment theory
- children's mathematical thinking (Cognitively Guided Instruction)
- music education
My work in children’s mathematics is based on Cognititvely Guided Instruction (CGI). I studied CGI at the the University of Wisconsin-Madison with members of the original research team and I continue to collaborate with members of this group.
Membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the General Teaching Council of Scotland
- Member of the Additional Support Needs Tribunals for Scotland
- Scottish Government Implementation Group for Instrumental Music Instruction
- Chair of the Board of Directors of The Paragon Ensemble
- Vice Chair of STEC Inclusion Group (Scottish Teacher Education Committee)
- Member of the Education Task Group of For Scotland’s Disabled Children
- Member of Enable Scotland Children and young families committee