Photo of students in TCC playing cards

AccommodationBefore you apply

As a new student, you can apply for University accommodation online. However, there are a few criteria you need to meet.


New students

  • you must be studying with us full-time
  • you must have satisfied all conditions of entry to the University by the 21st of August of the year of admission

Postgraduate students

If your course lasts more than 9 months of the year, you'll only be eligible for accommodation on a 51-week contract basis. 

Late entry & clearing students

Accommodation is allocated on a first come first served basis if:

  • you satisfy your conditions of entry to the University after 21st of August
  • if you go through clearing

If we can't accommodate you here on campus, we can help you secure alternative accommodation.

When can I apply

Accommodation applications open on 16th April 2020 and you can apply if you hold either an unconditional or conditional offer of study from Strathclyde. 


Accommodation is allocated on a first-come-first-served basis. 

You can indicate your top three residence preferences on your application and we will do our best to accommodate you in one of your choices. If you are interested in an en-suite room, due to high demand we recommend that you select a minimum of two room types. Selecting more en-suite options does not increase your chance of getting one.

Room allocation always depends on the popularity of choices and the number of applicants, so if we can’t offer one of your choices, we'll make an alternative offer as close to your first choices as possible.

You may wish to be allocated particular accommodation based on your gender identity, for social reasons, or practical reasons, or because you are transitioning. Please be sure to let us know what you need in the ‘Other Relevant Information’ section of the application form and we will do our best to meet your needs. All our residences have the option of both mixed gender and single sex flats.


Our residences are made up of shared flats (shared corridors in Murray Hall) and you'll have between three and seven flatmates, depending on which residence you're placed in. On your application, we ask that you provide information about yourself and what you are looking for in a flatmate so that our experienced team can find the best mix of people for your flat.

We offer both single sex and mixed gender flats, please indicate your preference on your application. If you select a mixed gender flat, we will allocate you to either a mixed or single gender flat depending on availability and gender mix. If you choose single sex flat, this will be allocated for you.

You’ll be placed with students at the same academic stage as yourself. Undergraduates and Postgraduates are housed in separate blocks.

We offer some flats specifically for mature students (Undergraduate or Postgraduate), which we hope provides a good option for those whose priority is to be in University accommodation.

Applying as a group

Students who wish to apply as a group must request this on the Personal Qualities section of the application form. Please include the full name and UCAS/applicant number of each member of your group. 

Personal details

Most communications from Accommodation Services will be by email. If you want to amend your email address, or any of your personal details, please contact the Student Business team for your faculty.

If you submit an application then decide you would like to change some of the information given, please contact with your full name, UCAS/applicant number and request.

When will I have an offer of accommodation?

  • if you hold an unconditional offer of study, you'll receive an offer of accommodation from us by the middle of July;
  • if you hold a conditional offer of study, you will receive an offer of accommodation once the University makes you an unconditional offer of study and you have firmly accepted. 

You will be given 3 to 5 days to accept the Occupancy Agreement online and make a £400 rent prepayment. Failure to accept or pay by the expiry date will result in your offer of accommodation being withdrawn.

Occupancy Agreement

When you're offered a room you're required to accept an Occupancy Agreement. It's a legally binding document and includes the residence regulations and conditions which you must adhere to (our schedule of charges will be provided along with your Occupancy Agreement). You agree to stay in residence for the duration of the Agreement and pay rent.

It's only in exceptional circumstances and with the permission of Accommodation Services that a student can leave residence before the end of the agreement. In this instance, there's a procedure to follow and a 4-week notice period will be required.

If you decide to leave University accommodation without permission, you'll continue to be charged rent for your room for the full period of the agreement. This will only stop if another student (who is acceptable to the University) can be found to take your place.

Students with additional support needs

If you require disability support please contact our Disability & Wellbeing Service for advice on your accommodation needs. 

Please also tell us about your needs in the application form so that we can provide the appropriate support. If possible, we'd love to have you visit us to make sure you're happy with the facilities - just get in touch!

Medical conditions

We will consider any special need or requirement included on your form. If you have a medical condition we should know about, you can send us a statement from your doctor. All information is treated as confidential.

Care experienced and estranged students

If you are: 

  • a care experienced student, (e.g. you have spent three months or more during your school education in local authority care, which could have been in: residential care; foster care; formal kinship care (cared for by family or relatives) or living at home under a home supervision order), OR
  • an estranged student (e.g. you have experienced a permanent breakdown of relations between you and your immediate family where you have not had a communicative relationship for 12 months or more, and are studying without their support) 

you are eligible for accommodation 365 days per year while you are a student of the University.

Apply for accommodation for 39 weeks, this will cover you from September to June.  In the spring you will be able to apply for on-campus accommodation where you will be able to stay from June until September. Most of our residences are let out to conferences during the summer vacation so unfortunately you cannot stay in the same residence for the 52 weeks.

Search for University accommodation