Pre-Sessional Foundation & Modules 1-3 Academic English & Study Skills 2017-2018
What does this course offer?
Each week of this course has 21 hours of task-based communicative and collaborative learning, during which you'll be monitored by a team of experienced tutors.
The focus is on real situations and tasks that you'll be likely to perform in your future studies.
Learning & teaching
Your individual learning needs will be identified and you'll be helped to set up an effective self-study plan.
There will be opportunities to visit places of cultural, historical and leisure interest in Glasgow and around Scotland.
You'll receive feedback on your progress and support for your learning in one-to-one tutorials. Your progress will be assessed regularly through coursework.
The final assessment for the course will give you the opportunity to meet the language requirement for your main degree at Strathclyde.
Highlights of the course include:
- use of the University's extensive library facilities, including its audio, video and interactive computer-based language learning materials
- access to the University's Centre for Sport and Recreation and the Students' Union
- free access to the internet
The programme covers the following academic English and study skills areas, as well as work on general English language improvement as required:
- strategies for understanding lectures & talks
- note-taking & summarising texts
- participating actively in seminar discussions
- giving effective presentations & talks
- improving reading skills & strategies
- writing a variety of text types: reports, essays, annotated bibliographies, summaries & reflections
- using the library & the internet for research
- developing reference & citation skills
- expectations of students in UK Universities
- avoiding plagiarism & developing reference & citation skills
The length of your course and the modules you need to take will vary depending on your current IELTS score and the language requirement for your main degree. Find out more information below.
If degree entry is IELTS 6.5 overall with no individual component below 6.0
Module 3 (four weeks)
Modules 2 and 3 (eight weeks)
Modules 1, 2 and 3 (12 weeks)
Modules 1, 2 and 3 plus Foundation 3 and 4 (24 weeks)
Modules 1, 2 and 3 plus Foundation 2, 3 and 4 (32 weeks)
Modules 1, 2 and 3 plus Foundation 1, 2, 3 and 4 (42 weeks)