Police and city

International students Police registration

End of Police Registration Scheme

As of 5 August 2022, the Home Office announced the requirement under the Immigration Rules to register with the police, known as the Police Registration Scheme, has ended.

This means students of certain nationalities listed in the Immigration Rules Appendix 2: police registration are no longer required to register with the police.

This update applies to international students who:

  • Have already registered with the police and/or
  • Have a condition to register with the police as part of their leave to enter or remain (Tier 4 or Student visa) in the UK

Further information and details about the Police Registration Scheme changes can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions below.

Frequently asked questions

No. The Police Registration Scheme has ended and you do not need to register with the police.

Any changes to your personal circumstances or address should be reported separately online to the Home Office.

If you will apply for a different UK visa category in future, the requirement of registering with the police will not appear in your new visa conditions.

Your visa/BRP/digital status will not be amended.

If you have not yet travelled to the UK, you may be issued with a new visa that does not list the police registration requirement.

It is not necessary to retain your certificate. Students will not be required to produce the Police Registration Certificate to a police officer or an immigration officer.

When applying for a visa in the UK, it is no longer required to provide a Police Registration Certificate.

No. The Police Registration Scheme has ended and you do not need to register with the police.

However to comply with the conditions of your visa, you should still report changes of your address and/or personal details to the Home Office online.

No. Any student who was required to register as requested will no longer be expected to register with the police.