How can I fund my course?

The best place to start looking for research funding is the department where you are planning to study.  Research groups and projects may already be funded or part-funded and you may be able to access this funding.

We offer a range of scholarships for UK, EU and overseas students. Go to our scholarships search for all the information on funding opportunities that may be available.

Postgraduate research opportunities

We have a range of funded and non-funded postgraduate research opportunities. Have a look at our postgraduate research search for an opportunity that suits you.

Payment of tuition fees

Applying for scholarships

In order to apply for a scholarship, you must first have applied for a course of study. Information on how to apply for each scholarship is listed on the scholarship search.

Research Councils

The various UK research councils are some of the main funders of postgraduate research. 

Other sources of funding

EU & European Economic Area (EEA) students

If you’re an EU national, you are eligible to apply for the same awards as Scottish students to cover your tuition fees. You may be eligible to receive maintenance support if you have been living in the UK for three years excluding for study purposes, immediately prior to the study period.

International students

If you are an international student from a non-EU/EEA country, you should explore funding opportunities in your home country at the same time as applying for funding in the UK. Contact the relevant Ministry or Department of Education, local British Council Office, British Embassy or High Commission. Some international agencies such as UNESCO, the World Bank, the World Health Organisation and the European Commission operate funding schemes, usually for students from developing countries. Voluntary organisations and charities sometimes award modest scholarships.

Other funding sources