To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Commonwealth citizen, refugee, or British protected person
- Be permanently resident in a developing Commonwealth country
- Be registered for a PhD at a university in your home country
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2016
- By October 2016, hold a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours standard, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification (usually a Master’s degree)
Purpose: To widen access to UK equipment and expertise for quality doctoral candidates from Commonwealth countries, and to contribute to UK and Commonwealth higher education and research through collaboration and partnerships.
Intended beneficiaries: High-quality graduates who have the potential to become influential leaders, teachers, or researchers in their home countries, and whose proposed research has a developmental and leadership focus.
Your application must be made in the context of a departmental/institutional link with a UK university already in operation or currently under negotiation. Applications without supporting statements from both your home country supervisor and your proposed UK supervisor will be considered ineligible.
Your final qualification will be awarded by your home country university (not the UK university). The scholarship does not support your period of study at your home country university.
The 12-month period of study in the UK supported by the scholarship can be taken at any stage during your PhD study, providing this is justified in your study plan. It can be divided into two or more periods, with no more than 12 months elapsing between each award term. If you have not already started your PhD at the time of your application, you will be eligible to spend a maximum of six months in the UK in your first year of study.
All subject areas are eligible, although the CSC’s selection criteria give priority to applications that demonstrate the strongest relevance to development.
How to apply
You must make your application directly to the CSC using the CSC’s Electronic Application System (EAS). Click here for full information on how to use the EAS, including detailed guides.
You are not required to apply via a nominating body for these scholarships.