- mature students currently studying within the Law School at the University of Strathclyde
- prospective mature students applying to study in the Law School at the University of Strathclyde
- you must be aged 25 years or older at the time of the deadline for submitting your application
- UK and non-UK residents are eligible to apply
- current or prospective research students (PhD or MPhil) will not be eligible to apply
- current or prospective students pursuing a joint course with the Law School and another School/Department will not be eligible to apply
The Law School has a wide range of funding opportunities so if you're a current or prospective postgraduate research student looking for funding, take a look at our scholarship search to find something suitable.
The Selection Committee have regard to:
- academic merit
- financial need in the context of personal circumstances
- evidence of strong interest in the areas of John Fitzsimons’ work such as Criminal Law and/or Jurisprudence, and/or cognate areas
- the availability of other awards to assist with living costs and/or tuition fees
Successful applicants to the John Fitzsimons Memorial Fund are expected to take up the offer of a place in the next academic session starting in September of the same calendar year.
John Fitzsimons was one of the Law School’s first and most inspirational lecturers. He taught Criminal Law & Jurisprudence for twenty years before becoming a highly-respected judge (Sheriff). To achieve this, he and his family made considerable sacrifices – not least when he became a mature student at the age of 25.
John Fitzsimons believed that talented individuals should have proper access to education on the basis of academic merit, rather than financial. Through his teaching, encouragement, and his own actions, he inspired generations of Strathclyde students to achieve their potential. He was well aware of the particular barriers which mature students can face.
Find out more about John Fitzsimons.
Telephone: +44 (0) 141 548 3738
How to apply
The deadline for 2016/17 entry is Friday 12th May 2017.
Please download and complete the application form:
Please return your completed form and supporting documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org