Childcare Fund

Application forms

Childcare Fund Application Form - Annex A 2017/18  

The University has adopted a new Childcare Fund Policy from 2017/18 onwards. 

The Childcare Fund can help Scottish-domiciled full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students who have a tuition fee loan with the costs of their formal/registered childcare costs*. Formal childcare includes registered childminders, after-school clubs, day care, sitter services and providers of pre-school and education. Proof of current formal/registered childcare costs must be provided.

In cases of serious and immediate hardship, there is a short term interest free emergency loan facility. You can borrow up to a maximum of £350 (maximum of £100 per day).

Note: If you would like to speak to one of the Financial Support Team or need help to complete the form, please contact


Assistance from the fund is for study-related registered childcare costs. To be eligible for assistance from the fund, a student must:

  • meet the eligibility criteria for tuition fees and be either an undergraduate or in receipt of the undergraduate package of support (eg PGDE)
  • have applied for their full means-tested student loan (where appropriate)
  • are a full-time postgraduate student on an eligible course in receipt of a living cost loan from SAAS
  • have formal, registered childcare in Scotland

*Informal childcare costs (eg non-registered childminder, friend, family member) may be considered via the Discretionary Fund.

Students not eligible for assistance from the Childcare Fund

  • Students who have not applied for their full means-tested loan (if eligible)
  • Students who are not eligible for the payment of their tuition fees*
  • Postgraduate students not in receipt of a living cost loan*
  • Part-time students*
  • Students from England, Wales and Northern Ireland*
  • Students in receipt of an NHS bursary*
  • International students (including EU)

*The above categories of student may be eligible for assistance from the Discretionary Fund.

Lone Parent Childcare Grant

If you are a lone parent who has registered childcare costs and have received your Lone Parents Grant award notice from SAAS, you can apply for this supplementary support directly from the University.

Eligible students must be studying full-time on an undergraduate course and be funded by SAAS. Students from England, Wales and and Northern Ireland funding bodies who are eligible for Childcare grants are NOT eligible for this fund. However, they can apply to the Discretionary Fund if applicable.

All information submitted will be treated as confidential.

You can claim the Lone Parents’ Grant of £1,305 from SAAS if you are single, widowed, divorced, separated or your civil partnership has dissolved, and you are bringing up children on your own. The grant covers 52 weeks of the year from the first day of the academic year of your course. For more information, see the SAAS webpage.

To be eligible to receive the Lone Parent Childcare Grant, you must already be in receipt of the Lone Parents' Grant. You must submit a copy of your SAAS award notice confirming you are in receipt of the Lone Parents' Grant, evidence of registered childcare costs, and a copy of your tax credits award notice.