Study abroad Erasmus

Erasmus is a European initiative that allows full-time university students to study or work abroad, with a grant, as part of their degree in 33 European Countries.


Studying abroad can enhance your skills and knowledge while giving you a wonderful travel experience and looks great on your CV!

Best decision of my life so far. When people ask why I did it the best answer is "Why not?!"

Where can I go?

Erasmus exchanges are course specific so where you can go depends on what you're studying. We currently have around 200 exchanges across Europe so there's a lot of choice! Check where you can go with your subject area by downloading Erasmus Destinations November 2020

The social life in Helsinki is the best I have experienced of anywhere I have been. The university caters really well for erasmus students' integration into Finnish life and university.

What can I do?

The majority of students go on a study exchange. You'll go to classes that are the equivalent of what you would study if you were at Strathclyde so you're not adding any time on to your degree. The credits gained during your exchange period will be recorded on your transcripts and further details of your exchange will be in your diploma supplement that you'll receive when you graduate.

You must study courses relating to your degree and obtain approval for your programme of study from your department’s Erasmus coordinator. Failure to do so may jeopardise your chances of returning to your honours year at university.

It depends on the structure of your classes if you can go on exchange for one semester only or the full year. In some subjects areas it's only possible to do one or the other so check with your subject area Erasmus coordinator.

Some subject areas allow you the chance to go on a work placement as part of your degree eg Architecture. For further details please contact Kate Kenyon or your subject area coordinator.

The Erasmus Exchange has given me the opportunity to study abroad and experience a different culture without having to take time out of studying and working.

When can I go?

Each department has different regulations.

Non-compulsory exchange

  • 3rd year for either one or two semesters (although some departments offer this in 4th year)

Compulsory exchange (eg modern language courses)

  • 4th year of a five year course (usually for two semesters)

MEng course

  • 5th year (one or two semesters)

You're eligible for 12 months of Erasmus funding during an academic cycle (undergraduate/postgraduate/PhD). If you're an MEng student, it's possible to go on exchange twice.

It was a great experience and gives you a great opportunity to become much more independent. You will develop a lot of personal skills that will support you well into the future and allow you to broaden your horizons.

How much does it cost?

We would estimate that it costs from around £3,500 per semester. However, this can vary according to the country you're going to. 

Erasmus Student Mobility Grants

In most cases you'll also qualify for an Erasmus Student Mobility grant to cover some of the extra costs of studying abroad like accommodation, food, travel, books, insurance and any other living expenses.

This is a grant and does not need to be repaid. International students are also eligible to apply for an Erasmus student mobility grant if they are taking part in the programme. Get further information about Erasmus grants.

Tuition Fees

Your tuition fees will continue to be paid to Strathclyde while you're on exchange. That means you don't have to pay tuition fees to the exchange university. If you're eligible to receive any loans or bursaries, you'll continue to be entitled to receive these whilst you are on the exchange.

Do I need to speak another language?

Not necessarily. There are a number of institutions in Europe that teach classes in English. Even if you do go to a university where you are taught in English, it's a good idea to have some basic knowledge of the language before you go.

It has been a great opportunity to experience (and adapt to) the way of life in a different country. I've met many people here, gained a lot of knowledge from the work I completed and somehow managed to improve my French. 

To help you prepare your language skills, you can access any of the Language Centre Resources on level 6 of the Curran Building.  

Also, as a full-time student at Strathclyde you can get a 1/3 off evening or weekend classes that are offered by the Centre of Lifelong Learning. They have language courses in most Europoean Languages.

Erasmus+ Online Linguistic Service (OLS)

If you are being taught in a language other than English, you'll be required to participate in the Erasmus+ OLS as a requirement of your funding. It's a free online language course that you can take part in alongside your academic study whilst abroad.

Erasmus+ logo