Professor Sir Jim McDonald, the Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Strathclyde, has been elected president of a group of leading European universities of science and technology.
Sir Jim will assume the presidency of the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research (CESAER) on 1 January 2018 following his election at a meeting of the group’s General Assembly in Budapest.
CESAER is the recognised European association for universities of science and technology, with 51 leading doctorate-granting universities across Europe.
Sir Jim said: “I am delighted to take over the presidency of CESAER at an exciting time. CESAER universities have a distinctive mission and value proposition, with a focus on societal and economic impact driven from a basis of excellent research and education.
“It is a great honour to lead this group of universities and I pay tribute to achievements of CESAER under the presidency of Professor Karel Luyben, Rector of Delft University of Technology.
I am delighted by the commitment of university leaders from across Europe to work alongside me in the Board, which demonstrates the importance and influence of this association.”
The General Assembly also elected its Directors for 2018-2021:
- CentraleSupélec: Marc Zolver (Vice President International Affairs)
- Czech Technical University in Prague: Petr Konvalinka (Rector)
- Delft University of Technology: Karel Luyben (Rector Magnificus)
- ETH Zurich: Anders Hagström (Director Global Education Affairs)
- Ghent University: Rik Van De Walle (Rector)
- Kaunas University of Technology: Jurgita Siugzdiniene (Vice Rector Studies)
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology: Holger Hanselka (President)
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology: Sigbritt Karlsson (Rector)
- Instituto Superior Técnico: Arlindo Oliveira (President)
- Technical University of Madrid: Guillermo Cisneros Pérez (Rector Magnificus)
- Technion - Israel Institute of Technology: Wayne Kaplan (Vice President Research)
- University College Dublin: David FitzPatrick (College Principal)
- University Politehnica of Bucharest: Mihnea Costoiu (Rector)
- Warsaw University of Technology: Rajmund Bacewicz (Vice Rector Research)
David Bohmert, Secretary General of CESAER, said: “We have the enormous benefit of having so many dedicated Members and highly-skilled and motivated individuals strengthening the structure of our network in the years to come.
“We are delighted that Sir Jim has been elected to become President of CESAER and look forward to working with him in the next phase of our development.
“Our Members in the past years have embarked in a fascinating journey and agreed on how to develop and position CESAER strategically.”