CIS is engaged in world-class research across Computer and Information Sciences, spanning Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering, Information Retrieval, Mobile and Ubiquitous Interaction, Functional Programming, Dataflow Systems, Database Indexing and Information Science.
Our broad teaching portfolio reflects this diversity: the Department offers under-graduate and postgraduate degrees across the board in computer science, information and library systems and information management. CIS supports a community of about 50 PhD students and postdoctoral research fellows. We frequently welcome international visitors and enjoy a wide variety of national and international collaborations.
We undertake research into artificial intelligence, software systems, information systems and management, mobile systems, HCI and mathematically structured programming. We have a lively programme of visitors and seminars and a large portfolio of international and cross-disciplinary collaborative projects.
The Department holds external research funding from EPSRC, ESRC, AHRC, EU, industrial partners, government bodies and charities. We offer a wide variety of opportunities for PhD and post-doctoral research.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- MEng Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Business Information Systems
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science with Law
- BEng/MEng Computer & Electronic Systems (with EEE)
- MSc Quantitative Finance
- MSc Information and Library Studies
- MSc Information Management
- MSc Advanced Computer Science
- MSc/PgDip Advanced Software Engineering
- MSc/PgDip Mobile Computing
- MSc/PgDip Enterprise Information Systems
Our undergraduate degrees are accredited, to varying extents, by the Engineering Council, the Science Council and the British Computer Society. Our postgraduate Information and Library Studies and Information Management degrees are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals.